Ch. 6 Family Woes

Kori's POV

Sinn and Kori had become two peas in a pod over the last week and a half taking the time to hang out alone and get to know each other better. No they weren't in a relationship but they were building a pretty solid friendship.

In the short amount of time he had become her favorite person after Maura of course that she's met since being in Texas.

Unfortunately the duos time had been cut short due to the Thanksgiving holiday. Kori had caught a late flight back home to Boston that Tuesday while Sinn had left for New York the day before.

Although she loved and missed her family now that she'd been back in town a few days she missed her new friends and home terribly.  Am I homesick? she thought to herself.

But a person couldn't possibly be homesick while they were home. Right?

A knock at her room door snapped her out of her thoughts. "Hey Shay mamas looking for you" she heard her little brother Dreux yell from the other side.

She let out a low groan not wanting to help her mom cook this morning. Having helped Krishelle prep everything since touching down on Tuesday.

"Come in Drewski" she called him by his nickname. "I told you to stop calling me that Shay. It's childish" he frowned opening her door and sitting on her computer chair.

"Uh huh so what's going on with school? Every time mama and daddy call me they say you got in trouble." she asked voice laced with confusion.

Sure the 13 year old had got in trouble before but never to this extent. It seemed like every other  week he was either getting a call home or suspended at this rate he was close to being expelled.

She didn't want to come off as judgemental or pushy because then he'd just get defensive and that wouldn't get her any answers plus they had parents for that.  Kori really wanted to know what got into her baby brother.

Releasing a frustrated sigh he answered "Well you know mama and daddy got me going to this white school and because of my good grades I've been able to skip grades so now I'm the youngest black kid in the 9th grade."

Kori completely forgot her parents had transferred him from BPS to METCO this year and she had no idea that he had skipped a grade. She remained silent waiting for him to finish.

"So basically I have to deal with racist teachers and students every day they find any little reason to write me up or call home. Then when I defend myself I'm the angry, poor, urban black boy with no home training."

She heard his voice crack and immediately stood up to hug her baby brother. No matter how tall or grown he got he would always be her baby and she would definitely be mentioning this to her parents before she left for Texas.

"Don't worry I'll talk to mama and daddy before I go because I know they probably didn't let you get a word in huh?" He shook his no head as he tightly hugged her back.

This would've been the perfect time for her older brother Khalil to be here but he had caught a gun charge 2 years ago and was sentenced to 3 years. The whole family felt his absence especially Dreux they were super close Kori still remembered the silent tears he dropped at 'lils sentencing.

"Don't let them people get to you you have every right to be there and they're just mad because they're 15 and 16 in class with a whole 13 year old. Dumbass kids if I gotta pull up there myself I'll show them angry and ghetto" she scoffed.

The Simmons weren't poor but they weren't wealthy either. Krishelle owned her own beauty bar which included hair, nail, and facial services and Bishop owned several barbershops.