Ch. 32 Bad Memory

Kori POV

"Well I'm glad you and my son in-law are back on speaking terms y'all were stressing me out!" I just rolled my eyes at my overly dramatic mother. We were doing our weekly Facetime check in she decided monthly phone calls weren't enough.

"Ma please, anyway how's everything going back home how's Dreux and Danielle been since 'Lils been home?"  I hadn't heard anything about Dreux being sent home or suspended lately so I knew things had gotten better now that my big brother was present.

"That lil nig- I mean boy that lil boy got a girlfriend now" My dad who just so happened to overhear my question blurted out my eyes bucked at his comment.

"Bishop what did I tell you about ear hustling? and stop interrupting our mother daughter time" my mom nagged before shooing him out the kitchen.

"Yeah Shay he call himself having a girlfriend my baby boy's really growing up Lil's been working a lot saving for his own place.

But you know when he's not working he's bugging Dani and playing chauffer to Dreux and his lil girlfriend"

"That's crazy I couldn't date till I was 18 according to daddy but Drewski can date at 14 wooow it's the favoritism for me" I couldn't help but laugh as my mom waived me off

"Girl! your father was a damn menace remember that one time he jumped out the bushes and scared that lil boy that dropped you home?"

"Oh my God Isaiah"

We both erupted in a fit of laughter I could see real tears in my moms eyes it felt good to see her deep laugh lines and care free side for once.

But my laughing abruptly stopped as I recalled that very night.

Flashback....

It was almost the end of my freshman year and a group of friends had invited me out to the movies and arcade after school. It was supposed to be a small number of us but no one told me until the last minute that some of the football team would be there.

A girls night basically turned into a date night only problem was I didn't have a date. Not wanting to be the awkward one out I asked my cousin Renee who also attended the same school to go with me.

Everything was cool, I assumed I'd be sitting alone in the theatre while the other girls including Renee who had her eye on one of the players were coupled up which I didn't mind because watching a movie was a silent/quiet activity anyway.

That was until Isaiah one of the sophomores on the football team sat next to me. "Korianna right? I'm Isaiah you can call me Zay I got some nachos and M&Ms if you want some." he whispered in my ear.

I'd never been so close to a boy before especially one I had a small crush on. Zay had a butterscotch complexion, dreads that went just past he shoulders, the peach fuzz under his chin gave him a more mature look, and he stood at about 5'10.

His auburn eyes really made him stand out the 16 year old was so fine in my 15 year old eyes. The theatre lights were dimming by the time I stopped staring like a starstruck fan

"T-thanks Zay, you can call me K-Kori" I quietly answered. I could hear his friends being obnoxious behind us but neither of us paid them any mind.

"Cuddy you wanna switch seats with me? I know how people can make you feel uncomfortable" she whisper-yelled causing Zay and a few others to stare.

"Nah she's good right Kori?" Zay spoke up for me I quickly nodded my head yes while Nay stomped back to her row.

After the movie the plan was for us to go to the arcade and eat there I rode with Renee but she was acting strange and left while I was in the bathroom. Luckily Zay drove his own car so he let me ride with him we were the last ones to arrive.