CH. 43 Awkward Encounter

3 Months Later

"I know you not crying mamas" she could hear the music going and numerous people walking by stopping to offer Sincere daps, hugs, or kisses. 

"N-no send me a video my breaks almost over" Kori abruptly hung up the facetime and wiped her tears before the students returned from lunch. She was in fact crying but didn't want Sinn to worry knowing he'd shorten his trip and be on the next flight back to her. 

Hubby🥰💘🫶🏽: You a bad liar shorty what's wrong?

:I'm missing his first steps 😢

Hubby🥰💘🫶🏽: 😂😂😂 crybaby ass should've came lmk when you get outta work

Kori sat at her desk, her mind drifting between lesson plans and worry for Aniyah and Adrian this was her second week back at work without seeing the pair. Returning to work had seemed like the right thing to do initially, a step towards normalcy, but now doubts gnawed at her.

Her family and friends had been concerned, urging her to take more time before returning to teaching, especially at the same school where Adrian's daughter attended. The thought of facing them again, not knowing how they were coping, added to her apprehension.

Meanwhile, the Knights were gathered in New York for a family reunion. Sam and Sinn's relationship remained fragile, but at least they were making progress. Kori and Melissa had been persistent in persuading Sinn to attend the reunion, emphasizing the importance of family, especially for Saint. It took some convincing, but Sinn finally agreed, understanding that Saint deserved to have connections with his relatives.

"It's finally quitting time Kori you ok to lock up? If not I can stay" Mrs. Moore remained extremely patient and understanding with Korianna she remined her of another grandmother. 

"I'm fine I can pack up and please don't forget to tell Mr. Moore I said thanks again for the Get Well card" The Moores assumed the girl was sick and had sent flowers and cards to her home she'd never had co-workers that treated her so kind. 

"No need for that just bring him in a piece of that peach cobbler and he'll love you, you know the keys to a mans heart is his stomach and boy can he eat!" The two women hugged and said their goodbyes Mrs. Moore leaving out for the day while Kori cleaned the classroom and went over next weeks lesson plan. 

As Kori walked to her car, the fading light of the setting sun cast long shadows across the parking lot, intensifying her sense of unease. She quickened her pace, eager to reach the safety of her vehicle. Glancing around, she noticed only one other car in the lot, "probably just the principle" she muttered dismissing it as inconsequential.

Unlocking her car door, Kori slid into the driver's seat, relief washing over her momentarily. Yet, the feeling of being watched persisted, sending a shiver down her spine. She started the engine, her heart racing slightly as she scanned her surroundings one last time before pulling out of the parking lot.

An incoming facetime from Aubri made her sigh in relief as she drove to a nearby grocery store. "Koriiiii" the girl sang through the phone causing Korianas eyebrows to raise. 

"Bri Briiiii not you singing to meeee" she cooed back. 

"Yes girl tell me I'm not looking thick I stepped on the scale and guess what? I gained a whole 3 pounds!" 

"Ohfuckingkaaaay that's that happy weight what future say? That ass getting fatter and I know it's because of me! What y'all be over there doing?" Kori questioned browsing through the fresh produce section.