chapter 10- once upon a playdate

His warm brown eyes stared intently at my green ones , making me wish the ground would swallow me up. He looked so familiar and I didn't know why.

He had a brown leather jacket on that smelled amazing. It must've been his perfume or something.

I know this guy. I do. Who is he?

Suddenly the guy's face broke out into a grin that made the butterflies in my stomach flutter about.

"Hazel!?"

I narrowed my eyebrows in confusion. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks.

"Oh my God , DANNY? "

He pulled me into a bear hug and I couldn't wipe that stupid grin off my face. His arms were strong around me and I felt protected and safe.

A cough made me pull away as I looked at my smirking best friend whose presence I had forgotten all about.

"Y'know what Hazel I think I'm gonna let you two catch up. See you. " she said with a spark in her eye. Then she waved and left.

I could feel myself blushing.

"That was Harley." I said.

"You don't say" was his reply.

He put his arm over my shoulder as we walked along the street. I managed a quick glance at my watch which said that it was 1:00 pm. But I wasn't hungry anymore. In fact , my stomach was full-of butterflies.

Danny was my best friend in elementary. We met in preschool, and we were best friends immediately.

Danny's mom made him play with me once upon a play date.

In fifth grade, I had a major crush on him. He was so protective, sweet , and kind. The other kids used to tease me and he would beat them up. It landed him a spot in the principal's office more than a few times. But he never complained. In fact, it was almost as if he enjoyed going there. He was my hero.

It was only until freshman year when he moved out of the country. His parents were divorced. He lived with his mom, that was until his dad took him when he was 15. I missed him of course, but highschool was where I met Harley and Celeste. It was also where I had my first boyfriend. By sophomore year Danny was just a distant memory. A happy place . I never told anyone about him. But judging from Harley's smirk earlier today, that may have to change soon.

"Penny for your thoughts?" He asked me with an amused smile on his face.

"Considering the fact that I havent seen you since we were like 15, I'll let you know for free. But just once. "

He chuckled.

"I was just thinking about the past. Y'know, elementary school . . . and the move. . . "

"Yeah. I do miss those days. You were such a crybaby. " he teased.

"And you were such a troublemaker" I said with a laugh.

"Yeah, those days. " he said lost in thought.

It was that moment, when my stupid phone decided to ring uncontrollably.

I sighed and picked it up without looking at the caller I.D.

"Hello?"

"Hey! Hazel"

"Oh! Malcolm? Is that you? "

I turned around and gestured for Danny to hang on for a minute. He frowned for a second but then he nodded.

I heard Malcolm speaking in the background but I couldn't quite comprehend what he was saying.

"What? Could you say that again? " I asked as I pressed the phone to my ear. Malcolm and I had been texting each other since I bought a new phone. It was just small talk but I enjoyed it.

"I said , I'm in New York! I just arrived this morning , and I was thinking maybe we could go out to dinner later tonight. ? " I heard his voice quiver a little bit and I could imagine him mentally chewing his nails off.

"Why not? " I replied.

"Great! I'll pick you up at 8"

"Bye."

I turned around and saw Danny typing on his phone. As soon as he saw me he stuck it back in his pocket. He smirked at me.

"So, you got a boyfriend ?"

I blushed tomato red.

"Well, not really. Were just friends"

"Right..." He replied.

We spent the rest of the afternoon chatting away, we went to the park and the mall. Although Danny was 10x hotter , he was still my Danny. The boy who was my best friend.

He was still a comedian, a troublemaker, and a goofball. And after that afternoon I spent with him I started to wonder if I ever really got over him. . .

We exchanged numbers before we parted ways and I told him to give me a call anytime. On my way home I saw Harley and Celeste and cringed at the possible questions they would ask me.

Celeste tapped her foot impatiently as she gave me 'the look'. I waved my hand awkwardly. "Hi guys"

"You have some explaining to do"