chapter 14- just like old times

When Danny said he'd be taking me out for dinner I had no idea he'd take me to a five star restaurant. I imagined him taking me to McDonald's or burger king. I felt underdressed. How did I get in here wearing only jeans and a long sleeved blouse?

You're Hazel Armada my subconscious reminded me.

Oh right, now I get why the waiter was trembling. I could have ruined him with a snap of my fingers. If the waiters at a five star restaurant were scared of me, I can't even imagine what the fast food restaurant waiters would do. They'd be terrified!

I admit, the things I could do made me feel powerful. But they also made me feel evil. Was I a bad person? Maybe I should wear a big black hoodie wherever I go. That way, no one will recognize me.

I examined my surroundings. This was nothing new to me. But somehow, tonight felt unique. And it wasn't because of the place. It was because of the boy sitting across from me.

He had his elbow propped up on the table while his eyes were focused on the menu in front of him. He looked so serious, so concentrated. It was hilarious to watch. I gracefully placed my napkin on my lap and took ahold of my own menu.

The trembling waiter came back carrying a small notepad and pencil.

"Wh-what can I get you?"

I didn't dare open my mouth for I feared I would laugh. He looked so nervous.

"We'll take the chef's choice" Danny said for the both of us.

He nodded and then left as fast as he could. I couldn't take it anymore. I busted out laughing and Danny joined me.

"Now that's something you don't see everyday." Danny said.

"I know. Although that may change soon. I'm Hazel Armada, I could tell someone to build a ladder to the moon and they'd oblige."

"I wouldn't " he said cheerfully.

"I know.Thanks for staying the same Danny" I smiled at him.

"What do you mean?

"For a long time I felt like everything was changing so fast. My boyfriend and I broke up, and I became friends with the girl he cheated on me with-"

I shook my head in disbelief but the smile on my face simply wouldn't go away.

"I started dating a billionaire, I became a billionaire, I had a whole new lifestyle handed to me and i just think, y'know , sometimes, a girl needs room to breathe."

I looked up and saw Danny staring at me intently.

"True." He said, his eyes never leaving my face. Then he leaned back casually on his chair.

I picked up my glass of champagne and took a small sip. Silence fell around us. But it wasn't the awkward kind of silence. More like the comfortable kind. But silence also gave me time to think. And my mind kept coming back to the conclusion that....tonight felt like a date...

But that was nonsense, was it? Danny didn't like me like that. And I didn't like him like that either . We were friends. Just friends.

"So, how come no one told me that you're going to get a real job tomorrow?" Danny asked breaking the silence.

My head shot up. "You knew?"

"I do now. Your friend.. Uhm.. What's her name? The one who looked like she'd karate chop me if I said one false word. " he asked me while placing his hand on his chin.

"Harley."

"Yeah! Harley. She seemed really eager to help me, is she always like that?"

I shrugged. There was no way I was gonna tell him that Harley was rooting for me and Danny.