chapter 29- unwanted fame

Robin's POV

The sun was the first thing to greet me as I stepped out of the hotel building.

At least I thought it was the sun.

What I had thought to be the center of our solar system shining in my eyes from 92 million miles away was actually the flash of a dozen cameras momentarily blinding me.

Using the back of my hand for protection from further damage to my eyes I squinted and tried to make sense of my surroundings.

Several reporters were standing a few feet away from me as multiple voices repeatedly asked me questions that were barely understandable.

I mean, what did you expect? Dozens of voices speaking at once was hardly understandable.

After finally realizing my situation, I happened to be surrounded by reporters, I wondered exactly why I was in this situation.

Last I checked I wasn't a celebrity.

"Mr. Sanders , what can you say about the past events that have occurred?"

"Is it true that you and Ms Hazel Armada have dated in the past? Was this before or after you were diagnosed?"

"Robin, for how long have you been suffering from mental difficulties? Would you say you're a threat to society?"

"How often do you need to take you're medications?"

On and on the questions buzzed by my ears, making it harder for me to keep my cool.

I knew I had to keep my anger in check. Or else I would just confirm what the internet said about me.

Mental patient?

Someone had been feeding the press lies. And I needed to find out who it was.

I pushed past all the people who had gathered outside my door. Cameras were repeatedly shoved in my face but I shoved them right back.

I was a man on a mission.

I began running as soon as I came into the clear. My name was shouted several times.

It rose up like a chant among the people.

"Robin!"
"Robin!"
"Robin!"

Most people would've found it annoying but I used their voices to fuel my anger.

I set my gaze on my destination and ran ahead.

*
*
*
*
*

Hazel's POV

I pushed the numerous files on my desk out of the way on order to clear some space for my throbbing head to lie on.

Multiple unread text messages appeared on my phone but I pushed them aside for another time.

I took a quick glance at my calendar.

Only 25 days left.

Only twenty five days. Twenty five days to tell my friends and family I was leaving for a destination located halfway across the world.

Twenty five days to sort out all the emotional conflicts I was having with myself.

Twenty five days to decide whether or not I truly loved Malcolm.

And twenty five days to decide how I wanted Robin's future to unravel.

I had all the cards in my hands. I needed to lay them out correctly.

I was the kind of person who knew exactly what they wanted.

But for once I hlwas hopelessly, completely, totally, and utterly clueless.

Baby I'm preying on you tonight , hunt you down eat you alive, just like animals animals like animals oh oh

My cell phone began playing my ringtone animals by Maroon 5. The lyrics were quite catchy , I must admit.

The caller ID displayed an unknown number which only added to my curiosity.

I let my phone ring a while, I wanted to make the other person nervous.

I brushed a strand of stray hair behind my ear and answered the call.

"Hello"

I used my business tone with a hint of coldness making it seem like the person on the other line was interrupting something.

First impressions mattered for me. I didn't like being underestimated.

"Hazel?"

A familiar voice spoke on the other end of the line. The voice sounded like it was on the verge of panic.

I was not expecting to hear this voice. My curiosity went up a notch.

"Robin , what's going on?"

I didn't have to pretend to be curious. I sincerely was.

"Hazel , I need your help."

This should be interesting.

"With what?"

"I'm being framed. We can't talk about it here. Meet me at the café across from your office building in two hours. We have a lot to discuss. Will you help me?"

Oh this is simply too good to be true.

"Of course. Two hours , I'll be there."
I disconnected the call.

Robin, you just asked the wrong person to help you.

*
*
*
*
*
*

Although Robin was a moron , he wasn't a complete idiot. After all, he did date me for a while.

By now I have to assume that he has already laid eyes on the numerous articles on the internet with a certain supposed charity case as their main subject matter.

Of course he would come to me for help. I was after all his only close friend or girlfriend or whatsoever in New York.

However he seemed to be underestimating the saying "keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

As I picked up my phone in preparation to leave my office soon, the concept of calling Danny crossed my mind several times.

I'm sure he's busy with work.

The coward inside me reasoned pathetically.

I was scared. So I shoved the phone into my purse defiantly.

I'd think about that problem of mine another time.

Now, I had a certain "charity case" to attend to.