Chapter 23- this is like a real life soap opera

Hazel's POV

"Hi Danny" I was fully aware of Malcolm staring intently at Danny.

But if Danny was bothered by that he didn't show. Celeste's eyes were darting back and forth from Malcolm, to Danny, to me. She could sense the tension and she was trying to solve the puzzle.

Danny had a goofy grin on his face as he nodded his head in acknowledgement of Sophia and Celeste.

"Sorry to barge in on your little get together. But Harley insisted." Danny said before taking a seat across from me.

Harley smiled and pulled a chair from a nearby table, not bothering to acknowledge the fact that she just made two old folks pretty pissed.

I glanced at Malcolm who was studying Danny's every move.

Danny, being as straightforward as he is, offered his hand to Malcolm while saying

"Hey I don't think I've ever seen you before. I'm Danny."

Malcolm smiled tentatively and accepted Danny's hand.

"I'm Malcolm, Hazel's boyfriend."

Danny withdrew his hand. All playfulness from his expression, gone. The tension started building up. It was so thick you could've cut it with a knife.

Sophia stared at her plate. Celese sent me a worried expression. Harley discreetly whipped out her camera and muttered

"this is like a real life soap opera."

Her voice was soft, but I still heard her being as close as I was.

And it was. It really was.

Danny sent me a quick glance as if to say is he for real?

"Ah," was his reply.

"We just got together recently." I said. My palms were sweaty.

Danny's expression was pretty blank. I couldn't read a thing. His usually adorable teasing eyes were clouded.

"How do you know Hazel?" Malcolm asked suddenly.

Danny's head shot up. "I'm her best friend."

He said best friend like you would say worst enemy. Immediately I felt pain eating me up. I wasn't sure why.

Malcolm's eyebrows shot up.

"You don't say? She's never mentioned you before."

Malcolm's tone was smug. I frowned not liking where it was going.

Danny smirked. It wasn't playful at all. It was cold. Ice cold. It was so un-Danny like.

"I could say the same about you being her boyfriend."

I brushed a strand of hair behind my ear. Danny and Malcolm were glaring at each other.

I could practically feel the hate radiating their stares.

Before things could get ugly, Celeste clasped her hands together and said.

"Okay! Who's hungry? "

"I am!" Sophia piped up.

"I'm starving why don't we call our waiter?" She continued with fake enthusiasm.

"Sounds great." Danny said. His eyes never leaving Malcolm.

He was holding himself back, I realized. The thought frightened me. Danny was resisting the urge to start a fight.