Chapter 38- I should've known

Hazel's POV

"Were here!"  Celeste said in a sing-song voice.

I rubbed my eyes and looked around. Home sweet home. Harley offered to drive me since I was in no mood for calling a cab. Plus it was simply too cold to stand on the sidewalk and wave my hands frantically in hopes of gaining the attention of a certain yellow car.

"Thanks." I said with a sleepy smile. I got out of the car and waited for Sophia to follow, since she was still living with me, but she made no move to do that.

I looked at her curiously. "Well?"

She smiled at me.

"I think I'll spend the night at Celeste's place."

Celeste gave her a bewildered look but something stopped her from asking why Sophia was doing what she was doing. Whatever it was that she was doing.

Harley was giving us looks that said 'you're all crazy' but then something caught her eye.

Her face broke out into a huge chesire grin and she tossed me my suitcase. My very heavy suitcase.

"Oof!" I barely caught it 

I was  about to let loose a million insults when something inside of me told me to turn around.

So I did.

Sitting on the front porch steps was a figure whose shoulders were hunched and whose coat was covered in a soft layer of snow, indicating he had been here for a while.

"Well" I chuckled nervously.

"Y'know what a sleepover at Celeste's actually sound like a good idea."

I made a move to get inside the car but Sophia slammed the door shut and locked it.

Harley rolled down the window.

"Hazel, you know we love you. But I don't think a sleepover sounds like a very good idea. Give us a call when the dramas over! Bye !"

She said while coating her words with heavy sarcasm.

Then those three idiots drove away as fast as the ice covered road would allow them.

I stood there for a while , shifting my weight from one foot to the other trying to formulate a brilliant plan that would save me.

But once again my brain got in the way. And this time it was telling me that if I didn't move my ass now I would become a human Popsicle.

So I turned around and starting walking to the front door.

The figure raised his head and looked at me. Believe me when I say I tried very very hard to ignore him.

Just when I was about to reach the front porch steps and dive inside the comforts of my heater infested home, my foot, my stupid stupid foot, stepped on a patch of ice and my whole body went flying towards a certain somebody.

In a desperate attempt to save myself from further humiliation, my arms started flailing wildly looking for something to hang on to.

Fortunately they did find something.

Unfortunately that something was his neck.

I made the mistake of lifting my head, and his eyes met mine.

For a second, it seemed like he forgot he was supposed to be mad at me, and his eyes twinkled I amusement,  but then he came back to his senses and slowly began standing up.

I released my arms from his neck and coughed awkwardly.

I picked up my suitcase and unlocked the frontdoor with him following close behind.

"Would you like some coffee? Hot chocolate ?"

He shook his head no.

I switched on the main lights and turned up the heaters. Then I fixed myself a cup of steaming hot chocolate.

I removed my coat and hat slowly, trying to kill time but eventually I returned to the kitchen  and sat next to Danny.

I soon realized that wasn't the right move since my knees kept shaking so I got up and decided to make myself some dinner. After sticking some poorly wrapped potatoes into the oven, I sat on the kitchen countertop with my cup and forced myself to look at him.

"So....." I trailed off.

"So let's start off with what I know. You're Hazel Armada. 22 years old. You are taking care of a mental nutjob for some charity case , and then suddenly you kiss him in a public place even though you supposedly had a boyfriend. The internet and TV say you've dated this guy Robin before. Then, without notice, you suddenly fly all the way to France and almost get yourself killed!"

My eyes widened in shock.

"H-how do you know that?"

"It's all over the internet."

"No , I mean the last part. About almost getting killed."

Danny almost smiled but caught himself.

"Some of your friends are very talkative."

"And by that you mean Harley."

I should've known....

"Maybe."

I looked at him and my knees miraculously stopped trembling for a moment.

"What do you want me to say?"

I whispered softly.

I looked down at my lap and my blonde hair created a curtain, shielding myself from his gaze.

His hand reached for my face as it caressed it softly. His fingers were surprisingly warm.

"The truth."

The truth? The one thing I couldn't give him. Surely he would understand I couldn't tell him. For his own safety.

It felt as if a civil war was raging inside my head. I was at conflict with myself. What should I do?

A tear escaped my eyes and trailed down my cheek.

"The truth..."

I exhaled slowly trying to calm my poor heart.

"The truth is-"

Suddenly the front door burst open.