chapter 30-helping hand

Hazel's POV

I spotted him as soon as I crossed the street. He was dressed in black from head to toe and a dark old style hat covered his face.

But I would recognize him anywhere.

His fingers were trembling and his feet tapped the pavement at a high speed, giving some passerbys the wrong impression. Some people threw coins at his feet.

The way he glanced uneasily from side to side as if he were searching for something. Someone.

I stepped up and approached him.

I cleared my throat in order to catch his attention but failed. He was too nervous and frantic to be thinking straight.

"Hiding?"

I asked him while raising my left eyebrow up a notch.

His eyes darted back and forth searching for the source of the voice. Then his eyes landed on my face.

I frowned unimpressed.

"Oh it's you."

His voice held so much relief I could practically feel it washing over me.

I bit my lip to stop from smirking.

"Yes. It's me. "

"Let's go sit down."

He took hold of my hand and lead me to the small café which was in perfect view from my office window where a camera was pointing at our direction. The small recorder in my pocket was on as well.

"Before you begin with the detective act , may I ask you something?"

I stated bluntly while putting my napkin neatly in my lap. Robin didn't answer so I suspected he was waiting for me to continue.

"What THE HELL are you wearing?"

His eyes widened a bit but he quickly regained his composure.

"It's a disguise. The press is after me. They think I'm some sort o mental nutjob. You see that's exactly why I wanted to talk to you. You're smart and stuff. Maybe you could help me figure out who's behind all this."

He said with a helpless shrug.

I didn't appreciate the "you're smart and stuff" comment. It rubbed off on me as insulting.

"Right so, what do you need me to do? I'm willing to help you."

He looked at me hopelessly.

"Uhm, clues? What are some significant things you remember? "

He shook his head before his eyes widened with realization.

"That day while I was at your house , I heard a second pair of footsteps follow us out into the backyard. Someone must've been filming the entire thing. "

Not bad for a moron.

"It had to have been someone close to me and you. How else could they've gotten into my house?"

I was crossing some dangerous waters here. It was I good thing I had spoken with Sophia before I came here. I had to give Robin the impression that this was her doing.

Robin gave me a thoughtful look.

"What about fashionista? I mean err Celeste. "

I shook my head.

"She left after you arrived."

That was a lie but I needed to turn his attention to a different friend of mine.

"Harley?"

"She was never there."

His expression morphed into confusion before it turned into realization.

"Sophia" It was barely a whisper.

I was silent for a moment.

"Why?"

He pounded his fist on the table.

"Her father. She blamed me because of the death of her father. She's after me. She's coming for revenge. "

My eyes held a glint if mischief.

"You need to confront her. Get her to confess it all on tape. It'll be perfect. "

Robin stood up , determination and excitement shone in his eyes.

"Yes! Exactly!"

I laughed in amusement.

Perfect perfect perfect !

I mentally sang.

I stood up and opened my arms to give Robin a hug but he surprised me with a kiss.

A kiss I didn't return.

Because a familiar voice called my name.

A voice that made my heart deflate.
And a voice that belonged to a very special someone.

Someone who was still undecided in my heart.

Someone holding flowers and chocolates that undeniably had my name on them.

And that someone was Malcolm.

Authors note: wohoo ! Triple update baby!! Sorry about the cliffhanger. I couldn't help myself. ;)

Thoughts on this chapter?

Comment , vote, & share!

Xoxo ,

Avery ;)