chapter 31- realization and devastation

Hazel's POV

He was there. He was standing. And he was staring.

As his eyes met mine, disbelief, betrayal , and hurt flashed through them.

As I looked at him, a familiar feeling ran through my body. But it wasn't one I was expecting.

Annoyance

I didn't want to have to deal with him. I didn't want to have to explain what was going on. I didn't want to act like a pathetically in love girl , and beg for his forgiveness.

Because quite frankly I didn't want it.

I don't know what he saw when he looked at me. I'll never know. In the blink of an eye, the emotions hiding within him vanished visibly and he dropped the bouquet of flowers.

I gulped and stared at him directly in the eyes. He stared back.

His fists were clenched at his sides and he was shaking visibly.

I expected him to come forward. To yell at me or demand an explanation. I wouldn't have been surprised if he punched Robin.

Instead he did something unexpected.

Something I never imagined he would do.

He turned around and left.

*
*
*
*
*
My jaw dropped. My heart stopped. What just happened?

He left.

It was in that moment I realized that I didn't know Malcolm as well as I thought I did.

I didn't know his favorite color.

I didn't know his favorite hobby.

I didn't even know his middle name.

Simple things like that. Things that people in a relationship should know about each other.

But I didn't know.

Because I wasn't in love with him.

Realization swept over me like a cold breeze. I felt chilly and alone. It was like I didn't even know myself.

I didn't know what it felt like to be in love.

And although it hurt to admit it, I knew I needed to stop living in denial.

I was clueless when it came to relationships.

A thought kept nagging at me. It was bugging me from the back of my mind.

If I didn't know what it felt like to be in love, how would I know when I was actually in love?

Maybe I'd never find out.

Robin cleared his throat to my left and looked at me, confusion plastered all over his face.

I lifted my head to look him directly in the eyes.

It seemed as if he was about to speak but I stopped him.

It was my turn to talk.

"Thank you"

That was it. Two words. Eight letters. A thousand meanings.

And right now at this very moment. I was thanking him for helping me open my eyes.

Realization can be devastating.

But it can also be liberating.

*
*
*
*
*
*

Although I was quite alright with not running after Malcolm like a crazy lovesick girl in those cliché movies that always make a lot of money , I wasn't stupid.

I knew that he deserved an explanation.

And I intended to give him one.

So here I was.

Standing outside the door of his mansion.

I wasn't trembling. I wasn't nervous.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I revealed everything to him.

But I knew he deserved to know.

I knocked thrice on the expensive wooden door and took a step back.

It swung open and revealed a....

beautiful girl.

She looked about nineteen. Her hair was up in a messy bun and she wore no make up.

But her beauty was undeniable.

She somehow managed to make a simple blouse and jeans look glamorous.

It also helped that she wore 6 inched high heels.

It was obvious that this girl was fabulously wealthy.

Her clothes were branded and she moved gracefully as if she spent her childhood years in a fancy school of some sort.

She looked at me expectantly and I realized she was waiting for me to speak.

I cleared my throat and matched her gaze.

I needn't be intimidated by this girl. She was obviously younger than me.

"Hello I'm Hazel Armada. I'm here to see Malcolm."

She batted her lashes at me gracefully. It wasn't the least bit welcoming.

"He went out for a walk. Can I take a message?"

I blinked and stared at her.

"Can I ask who you are?"

It wasn't jealousy speaking. It was curiosity. I wanted to know why this girl was here at Malcolm's house dressed in a million bucks and acting like she owned the place.

She smiled at me coldly.

"My name is Alana Wright. And I'm Malcolm's sister."

Author's note: dun dun da dun! How many of you guys remember who Alana is? If you forgot she's in chapter 26.

Thoughts on this chapter? Hate it? Love it? Like it? Let me know!

And don't forget to comment , vote , & share!

Xoxo,
Avery