Routine

Gem's philosophy in life was work and routine. Working hard everyday had to get you something, and Gem was one of the most hardworking people you could meet. And she was the poster girl for punctuality and routine, making sure she was always on time for things and generally having a fixed schedule for about everything she did. She set up chores for herself that she would do every day before anything else. The work didn't bother her. She was accustomed to doing things all by herself, and for herself.

           With a clockwork routine, Gem would wake up early, preferably at 5 or 6 in the morning. Then before eating breakfast, she would tend to the morning meals of the animals in her barn. She had a route memorized by heart that she always followed; scattering grains to the chickens as she passed by them on the way to feed the larger animals.

           Gem always went to the pigpen with two buckets, one filled with slop of leftovers and the other with water. She'd slop the pigs with one hand and then refill the water trough with the other, not trying to be neat. The water that didn't land where it was supposed to would wet the mud that had dried overnight, and the pigs who were standing in the food trough even as she filled it to the brim with their breakfast would have some more mess to look forward to.

           The sheep were less eager, more grumpy at this hour of the morning. Gem would take a bundle of wheat in her hand and lead them carefully out to a penned pasture where they could have their breakfast by themselves. After scattering a mineral mix all over the lawn so that when the sheep grazed they would get their nutrients, Gem wandered off to tend to the horses and cows.

           Horses were Gem's favorite animal. She couldn't quite explain it. There was just something about the bond that developed between the rider and the ridden that sparked a fast love in her heart for those creatures. All the time she made sure to spend every day trimming their hooves, brushing their coats until they gleamed glossy, combing out every single one of the tangles in their mane; her effort reflected her care.

           After she'd topped the horses' feeding and water bowls, she now had to milk the cows. They were patiently waiting for her, waking up even earlier than she did at times, and they liked her. Gem had a firm yet gentle hand that was good for milking, and she prided herself for filling up at least one bucket full of milk and cream per cow in the morning. She would always be able to fill even more buckets in the evenings, and there were no milk shortages to be seen.

           After Gem finished feeding the animals, she would head back to her house at a leisurely pace to start her own breakfast. But on the way, she would keep an eye out for small issues that could potentially pose large problems if unattended to. 'A nail in time saves nine' was a quote she heard from somewhere and agreed with completely.

           And even small things that might never become an issue she still fixed. That shrub that was growing too much into the path? Trimmed until it was growing straight. A bit of soil that was dry? Watered immediately. A loose tile? Replaced on the spot. A rickety fence post that swayed in the wind? A few nails tightened it up at once.

           Gem had once despised the work she did everyday. She used to think it kept her from doing anything fun. She didn't mind the routine now. But it still was at least an hour before her schedule was freed up enough for her to do something else.

---

           Jimena finally arrived at Cogsmeade with her gunpowder payment in tow, and False was anxiously waiting for her. "Jimena!" She practically shouted. "You had me worried sick!" "Sorry about that," Jimena said. "When I got the gunpowder it was dark and the sheriff invited me to stay the night. I'm fine." False sighed and walked indoors. "Breakfast is ready. And it's not eggs!"