Jimena and Herodias

Jimena blinked in confusion. Where was she? She sat up and surveyed her surroundings. When she saw the purple wallpaper she immediately realized where she was. She was inside her head again. And just like before, Herodias was there too, looking utterly incensed. 

           You traitor! She raged, punching Jimena in the face. The girl recoiled but stood up, getting ready for a fight. How many times do I have to tell you what to do and you never do as you're told! Herodias shouted at her. 

           I never wanted to work for the Watchers! Jimena shouted back at her. Herodias rolled her eyes. Well, that makes sense. Jimena's interest was curiously peaked. And she was also wondering why Herodias wasn't resorting to... more violent methods. 

           Why does it make sense? She asked cautiously. Herodias looked at her in disbelief for a second before it clicked. Right, you don't remember that either. She said. We didn't join the Watchers of our own free will. 2 went and made us a Watcher some time after he became one.

           Did he even ask us for permission? Jimena asked. Herodias shook her head. Nope. But it doesn't matter. We have to listen to him. Jimena tilted her head at her other personality questioningly. Why do we have to listen to him? She asked. 

            Immediately afterward she was aware that she had made a big mistake. Herodias flared out her wings in a dramatic display and started stomping her way toward the girl, hands balled up into fists. This is why I hate you! She roared. You are such a disobedient traitor! Jimena flinched backward but tried to hold her ground. 

           Why are you so fixated on that?! She asked. Why does it matter so much to you?! Herodias growled at her. Because you're me and I hate myself for the stuff I did! That was not the answer Jimena was expecting. She paused in confusion and just stared at her other personality for a few seconds. 

           Herodias... Jimena asked cautiously, taking a leap of faith and stepping closer, What did I do that makes you hate us so much? Herodias sniffed a little and hesitated before answering. You went and joined the Listeners. She said. You became a traitor to the Watchers. We became traitors to our own father. Planning to fight against him. What kind of daughter does that?! 

            Wait, back up a second. Jimena said, shooting her a double take. Father? Who are you talking about? Herodias looked at her incredulously. Qiron. He's our father. Have you never figured it out until now? I thought it was obvious. 

            Jimena just stared at her blankly. Why did he never tell me? She asked. Herodias hesitated, thinking. He was probably just worried about you. She said at last. I mean, look at the state your psyche's in. Telling you something that so intrinsically connected to a lot of your missing memories will probably make you go crazy. 

           Jimena stopped to comprehend what her other personality had just said. But do you understand now? Herodias asked furiously. Do you understand now why I hate you so much? Why I hate myself? Jimena tried to think. Did she understand? But something was off. She just couldn't understand. 

           I don't know! She blurted. I don't remember Qiron ever being a father to me and I barely even know why I want to listen to him or any of that stuff that's so important to you. I don't understand! Suddenly, the room began to twitch around her. Jimena stepped back, a little surprised. She hadn't realized she could control the room too. But it made sense in retrospect; this was her mind too after all.