Secretive motives

Gem was in deep trouble. The hermits had come through the rift; the same hermits that she knew from her life in another world. Which meant that they would recognize the Dawn princess as the pvp-trained elf that they were friends with. Which meant that her secret might be kept a secret much longer; especially with Grian there.

           The thing was, Gem was a celestial being of immense power, and she used that power mostly to teleport between different dimensions and roleplay different characters or personas while she was there. In the hermits' world, she was an elf who happened to be one of the best pvpers. In this one, she was the pacifist princess of Dawn. And she didn't want anyone to know that she pretended to be other people in other dimensions, especially Grian.

           Gem was putting all of the acting skills she'd developed over the years to fool the hermits into thinking that she was a completely different version of the Gem they knew from their world. She couldn't risk then finding out her secret.

           If they realized that she was the same Gem that they'd befriended, then it wouldn't take them too long to add two and two together and figure out the rest of the stuff that she'd hid from everyone. At first, it hurt her to lie so much to her friends, especially to Impulse and Grian and Pearl, but the lies became easier with time. All in all, Gem had fun teaching the hermits the ways of this world.

            But now that they were getting used to this new world, she had to start converting them to her sun religion. The princess of Dawn loved the sun so much that she worshipped it, and a religion could never have too many followers. So she started bringing the hermits to her church whenever they were nearby and introducing them to the religion. It was surpringly easy to convince a couple of them to get converted, especially after she started bribing them with sunglasses.

           "So basically, all we have to do is go to sleep as soon as possible because we hate phantoms, wake up and say thanks to the sun, and you get these cool sunglasses so you can stare at the sun as much as you want." Gem explained to the people gathered in the church of the sun. B-Dubs, Sausage, Pix, Oli, and Scott nodded. "Wait, so if we decide to join your sun religion, we get cool sunglasses?!" Sausage gasped, realizing what she'd just said. "Yes, that's what Gem just said," Scott snorted.

           "Okay, sign me up!" Sausage reached for the boxful of shades that Gem was holding. She moved it out of his reach. Gem couldn't blame Sausage for wanting them; Sausage was Sausage, after all, and they were pretty good and fancy sunglasses; made of intricately whittled dark oak wood that was so dark-colored it was black and stygian-tinted glass.

           "Sausage, you've already got a religion," Gem said sternly. "You worship Saint Pearl." "Wait, Pearl's what?!" Bdubs yelped. "In this world, she's Sausage's sunflower goddess," Gem informed him. Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed Scott looking at her. "'in this world'?" He asked thoughtfully. Gem froze, then remembered what he said about giving her the benefit of the doubt and relaxed. 

           "Can I be the god of the sun religion?!" Bdugs asked eagerly. "If Pearl gets to be a goddess, I get to be a god!" Gem considered for a second. "Well, he does have a proven track record," Impulse said. "He's always the first one to sleep in our world." "Okay, you can be the god of the sun religion," Gem relented.

           "Gem, you're not supposed to become a god just by saying it!" Scott burst out laughing. "Well, I can be a saint. Those are human, aren't they?" Bdubs said. "Great, now I want to be a god of my own religion too," Impulse complained. "That's not a bad idea!" Oli said thoughtfully. "Where are my sunglasses?!" Sausage yelped, trying to get into the box of shades that Gem was still keeping out of his reach.