Learning the truth

False listened patiently as Jimena told her all that she'd remembered. "So they've been spying on us this whole time?" False shuddered. Jimena nodded slowly. False pressed her hand to her temple. "And they made us forget with... potions." Jimena nodded again. False turned to look at her in the eye. "How come you remembered?"

           Jimena paused and opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out. She couldn't say anything about Qiron. Then it occurred to her that she hadn't ever considered telling her before this, and yet she'd known about Qiron for a long time now. Why am I keeping secrets from her? She's my friend... Jimena shook her head as of to try and clear it. "I was dreaming," She said instead. "And then I could remember."

           False nodded in understanding, and Jimena felt slightly guilty for lying to her. Then again, she did have a dream and then remember afterwards, but she'd omitted some very important facts. "We need to do something about the tower," False said suddenly. Jimena nodded. She glanced furtively at the surveillance tower, wondering if they could be seen. But she'd taken precautions before telling False what she'd remembered, like talking behind a building to shield them from the telescope's watchful eye.

           "We should be more subtle than last time." Jimena said. It wasn't an opinion, it was a fact. They could repeat the same mistakes, or they would just have their memories wiped over and over. "Sneak in?" False wondered. Jimena thought for a moment. "I guess, but why should we sneak in? We need to do something... productive." "There was a computer," False said suddenly. "Attached to the chair. The chair... wipes memories."

           "How do you know that?" Jimena asked, surprised. False hesitated. "Because I've been in it before," She said. Jimena stared. "The other False... she gave you your amnesia?" She asked quietly. "It feels that way," False said. She closed her eyes thoughtfully for a moment, and when she opened them again they gleamed with an inner fire.

           "What if we rig the computer? So that if they try to wipe my memories again with it, it'll instead make me remember everything?" "You can do that?" Jimena asked in awe. "I think," False said. "We're going to need some help, though. What if we get someone else to sneak in and plant it? The hermits wouldn't suspect someone else. I don't usually work with other people." "Who should we ask?" Jimena wondered.

           An elytra flight to Sanctuary later, he two girls knocked on the door of the L.O.R.E. building. The door opened to reveal the exact person they wanted to see. "Sausage, we need your help."

---

           Jimmy's mind spun as he processed what Grian had just said. Taken by the Watchers. Taken by the Watchers. Jimmy remembered the Watchers clearly. He, Grian, and Pearl had once been in a world where everything was in a constant state of evolution. The Watchers were these beings who made portals that everyone used to get to the next stage of evolution.

           But they didn't just tell them where the portals were, of course not. They wanted a show. They left clues lying around here and there to lead the evolutionists, as they were called, to the portals like a scavenger hunt. And sometimes the Watchers would reward or punish someone for the things they did. Grian once had his chests covered with obsidian for stealing.

           But taking Grian? Why would they have taken Grian? Jimmy thought about what had happened after he'd seemingly died. All of spawn was grown over like they'd been fighting the dragon for years. Taurtis was gone, probably because none of them had come back soon enough. And then the Listeners... whoever they were... gave Jimmy the task of giving everyone ender chests to help the evolutionists relocate.

           Why were they relocating again? The further back Jimmy tried to remember, the harder it got. Then he remembered. The Watchers had told them to go. They were told to only bring as much as they could carry, but the ender chests let them bring more. It was confusing, trying to remember what happened afterward. The notes they got from the Listeners and the Watchers... they implied that they weren't in agreement with each other. And then the Listeners made them a portal for them all to escape the Watchers...