Soul

False settled in her seat. The trial was nearing to a close and all she had to do now was decide who was innocent and who was guilty. She popped the music disc out of the gramophone and replaced it with the last in the set, The Soul Eclectic. Her other personality was the heart, hermit False was the mind, and she was the soul.

           "Call me The Soul or call me my name, oh, label me whatever you would like. Call me your host or call me insane if that will help you stay in line." The song sang, suddenly sounding a bit more upbeat than it's previous two versions. It made sense, though, the soul was the one most alive out of the three.

           "He's a damn madman."

           "He's a depressed fool."

           "Is that the one you truly want to be?"

           "Abandon him and we could live so free." The song sang with two voices at once; heart and mind pointing out to the soul how they were each better than the other, but soul had an opinion of his own. "Warring all night, abhorrent and trite, you seem to forget, you answer to me." Yes, False, the empress, the grand architect or Cogsmeade, ruled.

           "Fathers of fathers, I know that I'm vile, let's see how long it takes to murder me." Soul said with a grin. "False, you're not evil." Hermit False cried out, wrestling with her bonds. "You're right." False acknowledged. "I am evil and not evil, just as you are both and neither as well." The song agreed. "Neither is wrong, yet neither is right; condemn him to the infirmary."

           "Have you reached a verict yet?" Hermit False asked after a while. False hummed. "Not quite yet. You must wait, defendant False Symmetry. We are waiting for the end of the song. The Soul Eclectic is longer than the other two that came before it. Please be patient while I make my decision."

           "This is a rigged trial." The other False said as she once again tried and failed to slip free of the ropes that tied her to her chair. "You already know how the song ends. You already know how this trial ends. You already know who's innocent and who's guilty." "Incorrect." False said. "This trial is not rigged at all. The song just fits our situation quite perfectly, don't you agree, Jimena?"

           She glanced at the girl sitting quietly in her chair. She'd been listening and behaving well throughout the whole trial. "Yes, you do agree. And you were the one who picked this music out, didn't you? Yes you did." False said with a smile. Then the other False took control and shook their head. "She's gone, False. She's dead." But just as she spoke Jimena blinked.

---

           Jimena blinked, wondering where she was. It certainly wasn't the purple room. But all the same, it still looked familiar... oh, she remembered now. It looked like the void that she had dreamed about a lot. The void that the Watchers lived in.

           Jimena suddenly froze as she remembered what had just happened. She'd betrayed the Watcher and then False... False had killed her. "She didn't do it on purpose." Came a very familiar voice. Jimena slowly turned around to see Qiron floating there, looking remorseful. "Qiron." Jimena said. Then she corrected herself. "Father."

           Qiron sucked in his breath sharply. "You... you remember?" He breathed. Jimena nodded. 2 flew closer to her. "I'm sorry that you died." He said, wrapping his great blue wings around her. "It wasn't your fault." Jimena said. Qiron paused. "...It actually was. To elicit the results we wanted, we increased False's bloodlust. It was what caused her to... kill you."

           Jimena stared up at him. "You are even more manipulative then I thought." She said with a hard tone in her voice. Qiron just looked sad. "It's the way of the Watcher." He said. "No, it's just your way." Jimena said. "Gem made the Watchers emissaries of peace until you made them destructive and hurtful. I don't like this version of you, father."