Questions

Jimena felt odd. She didn't really know what to think right then. It wasn't that she was doing anything weird; she was just sitting on her bed and petting Ginny. No, she was busy thinking of what had happened that day.

           Grian had said something to her earlier, when she'd splashed him with the soap suds. But it wasn't in any ordinary language. She recognized it as the language that the voice used to speak to her. But why would Grian know that language? Jimena wondered. Her mind flashed back to the time when he'd preened her wings and they were somehow immediately better. There's something weird about him for sure...

           Jimena wanted answers. She just didn't know how to get them. Something told her that questions like these couldn't just be asked. She got the feeling that there was probably no one around who she could get the answers from. Except maybe Grian, but she wasn't sure if he would talk to her about it. Earlier he'd tried to gaslight her, pretending that he hadn't said anything weird at all...

           Who else would possibly know anything? The hermits? Or maybe Jimmy... He's supposedly Grian's best friend. Jimena sighed and lay back down in bed. Ginny anxiously sat down on her chest and started purring, asking if the girl was all right. Jimena giggled; cats could be really ticklish.

           "I'm okay, Ginny," She said, trying to not disturb the cat with her breathing. Ginny purred again and twitched her tail. Jimena sighed and closed her eyes. Maybe she should just give up the questions, at least for now. Maybe she should just try to relax. Sleeping sounded very good right now. It was nighttime, anyway. Now if only the voice would let her be.

           <Do not talk to Xelqua,> The voice ordered her. Jimena groaned. You again...? <Yes, me again; I am not going to leave you alone.> Come on, can't you just let me be? I don't want you around! <Don't be foolish.> Was it just her, or did Jimena hear the voice sound a little... hurt, when she said that she didn't want him around?

           Why can't I talk to Grian? Jimena demanded. There was a slight hesitation on the voice's end, like he didn't know how to tell her. <You'll know sooner or later.> I want to know now! Jimena felt so frustrated. Why can't you just tell me straight up?! Why do you have to be so mysterious?! <It wouldn't be as fun to watch if you already knew all the answers.>

           Jimena punched her pillow in frustration, and Ginny, alarmed, got off of her. Jimena tried to calm down and soothed her nerves by petting the cat. It helped a little, but not much. "Ginny, how does False deal with mysterious voices?" She asked. Ginny made a funny shrugging motion and just shook her head. "Well, you're not help either."

           <Do you really want answers?> The voice asked softly, and Jimena was startled at how gentle he sounded. Yes, she thought back. <I... I don't want to tell you everything just yet. But I will answer some of your questions.> Jimena sat up quickly and Ginny shot her a bewildered look. Really? <Yes.>

---

           Grian was laughing and joking with the other hermits. He was busy telling them the story of how Timmy had been turned into a toy and then into an elephant when he tried to turn himself back. Some hermits hadn't heard the story yet and it was so fun to watch their reactions.

            Just then, Jevin came out of Hermitopia, looking bewildered. "Hey, guys, have any of you seen my stuff?" He asked. Everyone looked at him curiously and then at Grian. "What?" Grian asked. "Nothing, just that if something goes weird it's usually your fault." Cleo said. "Hey!" Grian protested. "Not everything is my fault!"