Wings

Jimena looked outside the window, watching the skies for a pair of mechanical wings. But False was nowhere in sight. Sighing in frustration, she flopped back down in bed, pleased to note that her back felt less sore now. "It's getting dark," She told Jimmy. "Maybe you should head back to Tumble Town." "False told me to watch you and she's not back yet," Jimmy said. "I'm not a baby you have to babysit!" "How old are you, anyway? You're kind of short." "Uh..." Jimena racked her brain. "I'm actually not sure," She admitted. "I forgot my age when I got amnesia." 

           "Well, that's convenient," Jimmy snorted. "You still look like a teenager, though." "I get the feeling I'm older than that," Jimena frowned. Something buzzed at the back of her mind but she couldn't pinpoint what it was. More memories that she wasn't ever going to get back. If only Grian didn't run off. Maybe she could have learned stuff from him. Why did he run off, anyway? What was it he said about False? 

           Suddenly her stomach rumbled. "Dinner," She said. "It's time for dinner." "I'll go cook something," Jimmy said, leaving the room. In a while he came back with some leftovers and they ate on the bed. "Are you sure you're not leaving?" Jimena asked him. "Yup," Jimmy nodded. "Uh, is there a bed I can borrow?" "False has an extra bed in her room. I think she'll let you borrow that one." Jimmy managed to move the bed to Jimena's house without any unfortunate mishaps and plopped it on the other side of the room. 

           "I guess this is a sleepover," Jimmy said. "Why are you still babysitting me?" Jimena asked, wondering if she was annoyed or confused. "You're my best friend in this life, I need to make sure you don't die or anything." "That's rich coming from you, you die almost as much as Oli." Jimena said, laughing. Then she realized what she just said. Wait, why do I know Oli dies a lot? And then she realized what Jimmy just said. "Wait, did you say 'this life'?" Jimmy covered his mouth like Grian had. "Sorry, uh, slip of the tongue, forget what I just said! Goodnight!" He turned the lights off and immediately started to fake snore. Jimena frowned and went to sleep as well. 

           And the dream about the void came back. It wasn't surprising to her anymore. She just stood there, floating endlessly, waiting. Somehow she knew something was coming to her, and that she shouldn't miss it. It was hard to stay in the same place, though. The void had no gravity for her. She just floated, unable to choose where she moved. It would have been like flying if everything wasn't so still. I wish I could fly. As if she'd summoned it with her wish, she suddenly spotted a pair of wings flying towards her. Whose wings were they? She reached out and touched the soft feathers. 

           And then Jimena was awake, blinking confusedly in the light of the morning sun. A cool breeze rushed in through the open window, bringing with it the fresh mountain air and the scent of pine needles. Jimena yawned and got up, happy to feel that her back wasn't sore anymore. She glanced at Jimmy, who had slipped off his bed in the middle of the night and was practically on the floor already with his mouth wide open. Stifling a giggle, she grabbed a new outfit. After getting a concussion the day before, she'd completely forgotten to take a bath and change her clothes and now she'd ended up sleeping in them. 

           Jimena went into the bathroom where she could change without Jimmy seeing her if he woke up. Locking the door, she started to undress in front of the mirror, throwing her clothes in a pile next to the sink. She was mildly excited to try on a new outfit. She liked her off-white and gold clothes that matched Cogsmeade's theme, but today she was more inclined to wear something purple. Jimena was just starting to put on a lavender skirt when she glanced into the mirror and saw something that shouldn't be there. Shocked, she turned her head as much as she could to stare at her back. What she saw in the mirror she saw in reality. There were wings sprouting from her back.