Disguises

False worked tirelessly on the little computer chip she was rigging up. If made correctly, she could use it to hijack the other False's computer. At first, she'd wondered if she was even capable of doing it, but as she sat down to work, memories of making machines with the one who created her started seeping back in. The computer chip was soon made and it seemed like it would work.

           Jimena came into the room. "I did it," False told her, smiling eagerly. Jimena grinned back. "That's great. Now you'll be able to remember!" "Is Sausage here yet?" False asked, picking the chip up and hiding it in her pocket. "Yeah," Jimena said. "He said he was going to meet us at the park. And he seems really up for he job." False nodded and the two of them left the house.

           When the arrived at the park, they looked around for Sausage, but he was nowhere in sight. The park was almost completely deserted. A single tree stood there, forlornly shedding crumpled orange leaves. The park bench was dusty like no one had ever used it. In the corner, a small flock of pigeons gathered near an old man who was scattering bread crumbs for them.

            "I thought you said Sausage was waiting for us here," False said. "I thought so too," Jimena frowned, looking around for him. At the sound of their voices, the old man turned and started walking over to them. False took a good look at him. His pale hair sat under a musty old cap, which hid his eyes. A large, droopy maroon coat was worn on his shoulders like a cape, showing only his bright yellow rubber boots.

            He stopped in front of them and waited expectantly. "Um... can I help you?" False asked politely, and a little bewildered. Then the old man gave a loud, happy laugh and tipped his head back, showing his eyes, one of which was scarred. The combination of laugh and wide grin and scarred eye finally lead False to recognize him. It was Sausage.

           "Sausage?!" Jimena and False exclaimed at the same time. Sausage grinned even more widely. "I did it! I fooled you!" He cried out happily, and started to do a little victory dance in a circle. "Why were you pretending to be an old man?" Jimena asked. "Because a) I'm going to sneak into the tower and I can't do that as me, and b) It's good practice for Halloween." Sausage explained, still grinning exceptionally widely.

            "Halloween?" Jimena frowned, like she'd never heard of it before. False wasn't too familiar with the concept either. "It's a holiday at the end of October," Sausage explained. "You dress up as something scary and go around people's houses scaring them and they give you candy! It's called trick or treating." "Uh... okay..." False said. If someone ever came to my house to scare me I probably wouldn't give them candy.

            "So, what's my mission again?" Sausage asked. "Sneak into the tower and plug this into the computer in the basement." False said, showing him the computer chip. Sausage studied it thoroughly. "Okay, this'll be easy," He said, smiling in anticipation. "Easy?" Jimena said. "Hey, a dream told me I was an assassin in a past life, so compared to that this'll be a piece of cake!" Sausage said, grinning.

---

           False sat inside her tower alone. The other hermits were at Hermitopia because Grian had decided the place should be decorated for Halloween. But she'd declined and stayed at Cogsmeade to continue her surveillance.

           She glanced at her monitor. A map of the empire and a bright red dot showed where her clone was at that moment. She was at the park. Probably walking the cat.

           False felt tired, honestly. After having the hermits here with her for a little bit, the lack of their presence suddenly showed up in her loneliness. She didn't want to be there anymore. But she had to. To keep an eye on her clone.