Double life

Gem sooner or later left Cogsmeade to head back to Dawn. Her empire needed its princess, and royalty weren't the kind to go missing for long without anyone realizing. Gem had of course built up a reputation of always moving around everywhere and never staying still for too long as a good excuse and safety precaution but she wasn't the type to push her luck. Soon she'd shapeshifted into her princess persona and was flying with butterfly wings back to her empire.

           She found Scott there, leading some llamas who were hauling a cart full of wool. Oh right, I forgot about that trade we made the other day. Glad to see one of us remembered, otherwise someone would've gotten scammed. Reminder to not be too busy with hermit stuff to forget inter-kingdom trade. Gem landed in front of him and Scott smiled at her. "Hi, Gem," He  greeted pleasantly.

           "Hello, Scott," Gem smiled back. Then a movement in the nearby trees caught her attention, but she didn't flinch. "And hi to you too, Pearl." The cleaning lady sheepishly stepped out of her hiding spot. "Hi, Pearl," Scott waved. "Hello Scott," She mumbled. "What are you doing here?" Gem asked.

           "I was worried about Scott, that's all." Pearl blurted. "I mean, now there's a crazy clone on the loose trying to kill people and I don't think anyone should be left alone." "I'm not alone; I had Owen with me." Scott said, patting the orange-carpeted llama that was pulling the cart. The other llama spat at him. "And I had this guy too."

           "Wait, is llama saliva green?" Pearl blinked. "Yes." Gem and Scott said simultaneously. "And I cam handle myself, Pearl." Scott said. "I have my llamas and my fancy colorful crystal sword. I can handle myself." "False literally has her own Evil X now and you're not worried? She's a psychotic serial killer!" Pearl fretted. "Yeah, sounds familiar." Scott said casually. Pearl frowned at him.

           "Come on, Scott, just be glad you and Pearl are friends again." Gem said, attempting to alleviate the mood. "Well, yeah, it beats her almost killing me all the time back in Double Life." Scott admitted. "So you do remember Double Life!" Pearl suddenly accused, poking her finger at him. Scott and Gem both froze.

           "I knew you remembered! Why are you pretending you didn't?!" Pearl yelled. "Pearl, please be quiet," Gem whispered hoarsely. Pearl frowned but lowered her voice. "I want a good explanation and I want it now." She said stubbornly, crossing her arms. "I'm not allowed to tell you." Scott said quietly.

           "Likely story," Pearl huffed. "The Scott I know doesn't listen to anyone." "Interesting choice of words there," Scott said, a ghost of a smile playing on his lips. "Oh, now you're making this onto a joke?!" Pearl hissed. "All that trauma and heartbreak and you're joking about it all?!"

           "I'm not!" Scott protested. "You could've fooled me." Pearl said, scowling. "Look, Pearl, you don't understand what's going on here." Gem said gently. "Oh, you're in on this too?" Pearl said, suddenly rounding on the princess. "Just what is going on here that Scott pretends he doesn't even know me?! I literally forgave him for everything that happened on Double Life right after he blew himself up and I still can't get a happily ever after?!"

          "Wait," Scott shot her a double take. "You... forgave me?" "Of course I did." Pearl said. "I'm not heartless." ," Scott looked like he wanted to say a great deal about that matter but he held his tongue. "But I guess it doesn't matter what kind of person I am. Because the universe or whoever is in m control of it really seems to hate me." "You're right." Scott surprisingly said. "They do hate you."

           "What?" Pearl asked, taken aback. Gem was shocked as well, because she could only see one way this conversation was going. "The ones in charge of the universes. They hate you for trying to escape their world with the other evolutionists." "Wha-" Pearl started, and then she pieced it together with a gasp. "The Watchers?"