Watchers

Jimena was about to ask what a Watchers was when something prickled in the back of her memory. Somehow, in the depths of her long forgotten memories, she knew what a Watcher was. She knew it was something important. And she was beginning to remember why.

           <You are starting to remember,> Qiron noted. He didn't sound particularly happy, but he didn't sound annoyed about it either. Explain, Jimena said, and she was surprised at how forceful her order came out. Qiron said nothing. Tell me! Jimena shouted and was once again surprised at how forceful her voice was. Qiron too seemed a little shocked, or at least it seemed that way. With his mask over his eyes, it was a little hard to tell.

           <Very well,> Qiron said. He stretched out his giant azure-tinted wings for dramatic effect. <Watchers are the most powerful of beings across the multiverse. We watch over various universes and keep them in line. Otherwise chaos ensues.> What kind of chaos? Jimena wondered. <All kinds. Imagine a world without rules, without a ruler to keep the mortals in check. Imagine what they would do now that they were allowed to do anything.>

             Jimena paused and imagined a world like the one he'd described. All she could come up with was anarchy. But there are already rules all over the multiverse. Like no stealing or killing and stuff like that. <But not all crimes are punished,> Qiron said. <Hasn't your sheriff friend told you of the injustices he experiences nearly every day? How no one respects him even though it is clearly in his lawbook?>

            Qiron was right. There were some people who managed to dodge the law, and escape without punishment. <We the Watchers can see the doings of those who think they have escaped with their acts with no consequences. We the Watchers provide those consequences.> And reward those who we think act correctly, Jimena said before she could stop herself.

            Qiron shifted sort of uneasily. <You are remembering,> He said. Jimena paused and thought over what she'd just heard and said. It all seemed so fantastical... and yet so familiar at the same time. In the back of her mind, memories started to stir. Jimena prodded them and she almost remembered something. Almost. She just needed a trigger to fully being it out.

            How does eating emotions fit into this? Jimena asked. <Power always comes at a price,> Qiron admitted. <Watchers feed on strong emotions to make themselves stronger.> Watchers feed on strong emotions... like me, Jimena realized. Her mind started to buzz excitedly.  I'm a Watcher, aren't I, Qiron? I'm a Watcher.

             <Yes,> Qiron answered after a moments hesitation. <You were. Are. You are a Watcher.> Jimena tensed at the use of the word 'were', and how quickly he'd amended it. Were? She asked. <Are,> Qiron repeated. His little slip in wording got Jimena thinking. He doesn't want me to remember, she thought.

            Qiron didn't answer, and Jimena realized it was because she didn't speak to him. For once she was actually just thinking, and Qiron wasn't eavesdropping on her mind. Jimena started thinking again. He doesn't want me to remember... Eavesdropping on my mind... My psyche...

            <Stop!> Qiron shouted, sounding panicked. Whether he'd read her mind or the expression on her face, he knew what Jimena was slowly figuring out. If Qiron can make me remember what I've forgotten because of his Watcher powers... and if I'm a Watcher too... can't I do the same thing?

            Jimena put her hands on her head, feeling slightly foolish, but Qirons panicked voice and expression spurred her on to continue her plan. <Stop!> Jimena didn't listen. She closed her eyes tightly and concentrated. Purple magic sprang from her fingertips and wound into her skull. And started to forcibly pull memories out.