The truth

False smiled at Jimena and Grian, who looked confusedly back at her. "Wait, what did you say?" Jimena asked, tensing up a bit. She didn't just say she murdered Grian once, did she? "I said what I said." False said. "Um... okay..." Grian said hollowly, stepping backward. "Don't worry," False said, eying his movements. "I'm not going to kill you today."

           "Thanks... I guess..." Grian said,backing up even more. False smiled again and looked at Jimena. "Jimena, we need to talk." "About what?" Jimena asked. "Something private." False said, shooting a sharp glance at the hermit next to them. Grian got the hint and waved goodbye whilst flying off in a hurry.

           Jimena watched him go, wondering why he was flying away so fast, then turned back to False. Something about her was... different. She had this hardness in her eyes and lost a bit of the paranoid tone that always accompanied her voice. Jimena wondered what had changed and if she would like it.

           "Come inside and I'll explain," False told her, going inside her house. Jimena nodded and casta .brief glance at the surveillance tower by the bridge. Whatever False was about to tell her, it must be extremely important if she wanted to make sure they weren't overheard.

           "I remember." False breathed in excitement once the two girls were safely inside. Jimena felt her excitement growing too. "As in everything?" She squealed, happy for her friend. "You remember everything from before the amnesia?!" False nodded, grinning. "Yes. Everything."

           Jimena couldn't help but notice that the tinkerer wasn't as happy as she expected her to be. "What's wrong?" The girl asked. "Did you remember some things you didn't like?" False hesitated for a split second but then nodded. "I'll explain everything to you if you really want to know."

           Jimena heard her voice catch. "'If I really want to know'?" Jimena echoed. "False, if you're uncomfortable sharing, you don't have to tell me." "It's not that," False shook her head. "I just think there are some things in my head that you would rather unlearn." Jimena paused for a second, considering. "If you're going through something, False, I need to know so I can be there for you." She said softly. False smiled at her and began to tell her tale.

           Jimena soon figured out what False meant when she said that it was probably better that Jimena didn't know. The girl learned False's whole story from the day she was created by the hermit False up till the point where she was banished with amnesia to this dimension, not skipping any of the gory bits in between.

           Jimena couldn't think of anything to say when False finished. She just stared at the lady she thought she knew but apparently didn't. False caught her expression and sighed. "If you don't want to be friends with me anymore-" "Don't say that!" Jimena suddenly snapped. "Of course I'm still your friend! Don't ever think otherwise!"

          False shot her a double take. "But you know all the stuff I did-" "You're a different person now," Jimena said after a moment's pause, hoping that it was the truth and that she truly believed what she'd said. "And besides," She added, "I've apparently done some bad things too."

           False looked at her curiously. "Did you remember something?" She asked. "Sort of," Jimena said, thinking of Grian fishing around in her mind. "I mostly just learned what Grian explained to me. See, he and I used to be-" Suddenly she couldn't say anymore. Her mouth snapped shut and her tongue couldn't move.

           "Used to be what?" False asked. Jimena opened her mouth and tried to say it again, but nothing came out. "I can't say," Jimena finally managed to speak. "Oh. I understand if you think you've said too much-" False began, but the girl cut her off. "No, it's not lie that. I want to tell you the truth, but something's... stopping me."