5. The Man

"So is helping Mallory with all her wedding planning giving you any ideas?" Luke questioned.

"I had so many thoughts before when..." Tully shook the thought away. "But now, I dont know. I'm just excited for Mallory's wedding, she loves Criston so much and... what do you think? About our future wedding." Tully pondered.

"As long as you are there with a smile on your exquisite face I will be satisfied." Luke answered.

Tully felt so loved, so seen and valued when Luke was with her. It just proved that the person you are chasing after, the person whom you thought was perfection might really be a monster in disguise. And the person you never looked at like he could be your future might be the person you could fall in love with forever.

Tully felt so stupid wasting her time on Aemond. She had been writing back and forth to Luke for years. She had kept his letters, she didnt know why at the time but she was glad now and she reread them, looked for the signs that he was falling for her all along.

"You see it now dont you?" Larys questioned.  Tully jumped, clutching the letters closer to her chest. "Sorry, sweetie." Larys chuckled sitting beside her on the bed.

"Luke is so perfect, how did I miss it before?" Tully questioned.

"Your mind was elsewhere." Larys answered simply. "But maybe thats why you two are so good together, you started off friends. I think you should marry your best friend."

"MAllory is my best friend." TUlly objected.

"You know what I mean." Larys swatted a hand at her arm.

"I really like him." Tully agreed. "He is my friend."

"I'm so glad you found someone that treats you special." Larys agreed kissing her temple.

"So let me get this straight," Jace was saying over their mid day deal. "I'm marrying my cousin and Luke is marrying his half aunt?"

"Jacaerys!" Rhaenyra scolded.

"What!" Jace shouted.

"Your father-"

"I know what you said." Jace agreed stubbornly.

"You are going to be problem." Rhaenyra realized bitterly.

"Luke is your favorite." Jace agreed. "I'm your heir, I'm your firstborn son, I'm supposed to be your favorite! But its always the opposite isnt it? Aegon was neglected and he turned into a right shit head. Aemond well we all know what happened to him but his mother loved him."

"I love you, Jace." Rhaenyra's tone both hardened and softened.

"Then let me marry for love too!"

"Rhaenys-"

"Who is the queen here?" Jace demanded. "You told her one thing and luke requested another and Rhaenys agreed. Let me marry whom I want." Jace begged.

"Whats going on?" Luke on the other hand was on cloud nine from his dates with Tully. He practically skipped into the banquet hall. "Wonderful mother! Brother! Ahh, the birds are chirping and the day is vibrant!" Luke groaned flopping down on to the table. "What's his problem?" Luke pondered.

"He is being a moody teenager." Rhaenyra decided.

"Rhaena." Jace corrected. "I just want... can't I have my own adventure?" Jace begged.

"What do you mean?" Rhaenyra questioned.

"You went on a royal tour! Can't I do the same! Chose a bride of my own!" Jace begged. Rhaenyra pondered that.

"I will speak with Rhaenys and-"

"Thank you!" Jace declared.

"That wasnt a yes." Rhaenyra countered. "I doubt she will agree-"

"Luke gave them driftmark. Tell them he will take it back." Jace demanded leaning forward on the table.

"I dont want it back, keep me out of this, I'm happy." Luke begged.

"Hey beauti-"

"Nope, this is girl time!" Mallory corrected pushing Criston out the door. Tully laughed out. "What? He can't see me trying on dresses."

"Why not?" Tully questioned.

"Because what if this one is the one! He needs to look at me like i'm an angel sent from heaven and descended upon westeros for the first time when my father walks me down the aisle." Mallory declared. There was a knock on the door and Tully moved to get it.

"Hi luke, sorry its girl time. Mallory kicked Criston out just a moment ago." Tully admitted.

"Oh." Luke deflated a little bit.

"Can I see you later once I'm done with mallory duty?" Tully questioned.

"Oh! Yes!" Luke agreed eagerly, Tully chuckled tucking her thick curly hair behind her ear. It was untamable.

"Great." Tully couldnt wait for later.

Once Mallory freed her from her matron of honor duties Tully ran to find luke. He was setting up a picnic for them. Tully smiled slowing to a more lady like pace when she got to him.

"This looks beautiful." Tully admired the flickering candles and the rose in the center of the table.

"You look beautiful." Luke corrected. Tully did a spin, her dress flowed up and down around her.

"It was one of Mallory's discard dresses. She gave it to me."

"Wow... if thats a discard dress I can't imagine what her wedding dress will look like." Luke admitted.

"It's very mallory." TUlly assured. Luke pulled out her chair before taking a seat beside her.

"I dont know how to cook, not really so although I would love to take credit for making the food, i just delivered it here for us." Luke admitted. Tully loved his honesty.

"It's wonderful." Tully assured kissing his cheek. "You are the best man in the world luke."

Man. Not a boy. The best man. Luke didnt know that he felt like a man until that moment, until Tully him he was.

🐉

Luke now and forever will be portrayed by Aaron Taylor Johnson. Thank you chantelleLily for suggesting him. Im obsessed he is a perfect match for an older Luke!

 Im obsessed he is a perfect match for an older Luke!