Without You

Getting up in the morning felt awful knowing Odessa wasn't around anymore. She'd be the reason I'd want to wake up and see her beautiful, gorgeous eyes and be welcomed in her warmth as she held me close. Slowly opening my eyes, I was met with the same thing every morning and night. Nothing. Her physical presence wasn't there, but I felt her spiritual presence. It still pained me, knowing I had to live on for her. But I did it anyway. To go on for her.

Finally sitting up, I took in a deep breath before standing, stretching as I yawned. A photo sat on my bedside table of the two of us. There were multiple photos of the two of us around our bedroom. More so now after Odessa has gone. I smiled sadly at the one that was on my bedside table. It was a picture of the two of us together at the Overwatch base. She was in uniform, against her will, and I was standing beside her. Our hands were intertwined together and we were standing there side by side. I remember that day. Tracer was taking a photo and she was about to take another one when I grabbed Odessa, pulling her down so I could kiss her cheek. That photo was on Odessa's desk in the throne room.

Walking around the bedroom, I started to get dressed and ready for the day. After she has been gone, I had to take over as Queen. The people didn't mind it, but some said it was unfair that it was handed down to me. It was just a temporary position, but since then, I had to take over now. I will hold a proper Reckoning, but it's still too painful. Even after it being five years since it happened.

Grabbing my swords, I walked out of my house and found the memorial that was in our housing development. It was of her standing tall, her gauntlet open and sparks of electricity were even made for this memorial. There were blue flowers littering the bottom of the memorial. It would become routine for me to go down there and stand there for a bit. This morning was no different. After climbing down the stairs, I stood before the memorial, admiring the features the Tinkers were able to capture in detail. Taking in a deep breath, I let it out, trying not to cry. But like every other morning, it ended up with me crying, remembering that dreaded phone call.

"Hello?"

"I-Is this Y/N?" a British accent came through.

"It is."

"There is some bad news we must relay."

"I-Is it Odessa? I-Is she alright?"

"There was an ambush while they were doing search and rescue after Null Sector attacked. She was bringing in the last remaining citizens when her and her team were ambushed. She did her best to protect the citizens without any casualties. But, a mother and her child were hiding nearby. There was rubble and she charged towards them, taking the blow. The mother and child were saved at Odessa's expense."

"S-She's gone?"

"Yes. I-I'm sorry, Y/N."

Tears slid down my face as my lip quivered before I finally let out a sob. I placed my hand over my mouth, trying not to let it slip out. She'd want me to be strong for her. But how can I be strong whenever she was the reason to be strong. She lifted me up and showed me my inner strength. She was gone. She wasn't going to be able to do that anymore.

"G'day."

I whisked around, as it sounded exactly like Odessa, only to find someone who knew her. It was also one of my clients. I knew this woman had a crush on Odessa, but after she found out we were together, she made numerous attempts to split us up. Odessa was very close to banishing her if she didn't stop. Then she came to me and confessed she had feelings for me. Ever since Odessa was out of the picture, she started to pursue me, even after the repeated attempts of shooting her down, she never got the message.

"G-G'day," I said, wiping my tears away.

"I find ya 'ere every day. Ya must really miss 'er."

"Well," I subconsciously twisted the ring that was on my ring finger, signifying that we were indeed bound together. "It happens when the love of your life leaves unexpectedly."

"How come ya never remarried?"

Was she being serious? Remarried? I dated Odessa for damn near five years before we got married for almost ten. Today, today was a sad day. It would have marked our ten year anniversary of being together. I never wanted to remarry after her. She treated me with so much love and so much respect, it was kind of hard bar to reach. She set it so high that only her and her massive height could reach. No one could and would ever treat me like Odessa. She was the exception. The standard. She was everything. She was my everything.

"Are ya fuckin' serious right now?" I turned to face her.

"I'm just wonderin'. It's been five years since 'er death and isn't it about time ya get over it?"

"Get over it?" I snarled.

"Get over it? A bit insensitive to be askin' someone that. Especially when it was a loved one. Not even a loved one. She was my fuckin' wife. My rock. My everythin'. And yet ya have the fuckin' balls to ask me if it's about time to get over it. I can't fuckin' get over it. She loved me and I fuckin' loved 'er. She showed me what love was when I failed to believe in it. I get ya had feelings for me and ya saw 'er death as an opportunity to step in and fill in the hole she left behind. Guess fuckin' what. Ya ain't ever fillin' 'er spot in my heart. So don't even fuckin' get that idea in your head for a second! She had my heart and I had 'ers. No one else will ever hold and care for my heart like she did. I can't trust it because she took such wonderful and amazin' care of my heart. No one will ever replace 'er. Because no one can ever be Odessa 'Dez' Stone. Thee fuckin' Junker Queen!"

I stormed off and headed towards the warehouse. Such a ridiculous question. Such a fucking ridiculous question for her to ask me that. Get over it? I can never get over Odessa's death.

Reaching the warehouse, I opened up the door and headed into the office. Once I stepped inside, I sat down on the chair and wheeled over to where the computer was, finding one of the best photos of the two of us. We had these all over the house in photo albums. Hell, I think there was one where it was designated for this specific occasion. Of course, it was our wedding photo. It was where she was holding me up on her shoulder, the biggest smiles coming from the both of us. Lifting my two fingers up, I kissed them before placing them over Odessa's smile.

"I love you, Odessa. I always will. But, it's getting harder and harder as the days go on where I am without you."