Broken and Beautiful

"She hasn't spoken to anyone since she came here," Tracer said to me.

"And ya think I will be the one to crack 'er?" I side-eyed her.

"We have tried every agent here. Everyone except for you."

I let out a sigh, "What makes ya think I can talk to 'er?"

"Despite your appearance, you're quite soft. You're kind and gentle. She might see your outward demeanor and see you as someone who is tough."

"Did she do that when she talked to the other agents? Perceive them in some way and when they acted that way she shut down?"

"Basically. That is what Angela is theorizing right now."

"She's not some science experiment."

"She was."

"She what?" my eyes widened and I whisked my head towards Tracer.

"She was taken by Talon, of course it was Moira. She was experimented on, but we found her when we were infiltrating there to get information. It was in the early stages of her experimentation, but it was enough to scare her. Enough to make her seek out help in order to regain her freedom."

"Poor girl. How did Talon get 'er in the first place?"

"Talon offered any one a large sum of money if they were willing to be a test subject. She signed up because she was living on the streets and begging for anything. Food, clothes, shelter, work, anything other than money. She wanted to work for it."

"That's respectable."

"But when she found out about Talon seeking experiments for money, she couldn't turn away."

"Poor thing," I said, noticing how thin she was.

"Maybe you can warm up to her. Break her out of her shell."

"I'll try, but I don't think I'm the right person."

I walked out of the room and towards the set of doors that led into her room. The doors opened up and I stepped inside, trying to be light on my feet. She lifted her head and we locked eyes. She backed up further on her bed and I stopped.

"I don't mean ya any harm," I said softly. "I may look all big and strong, but I will not hurt ya. I promise. See," I patted myself down and pulled the insides of my pockets out. "I have nothin' on me that can hurt ya. I am not concealin' anything. If ya want to look for yourself, by all means, have at it," I opened my stance.

She slowly got off the bed and crept towards me. She circled around my form, looking for anything that would be considered a weapon. Once she stepped in front of me, I noticed she was at eye level with my abs. Such a short woman. I mean, everyone was short compared to me. I smiled at her and knelt down, being at eye level with her.

"Better?"

She nodded.

"My height and broad appearance can be intimidatin', huh?"

She nodded once more.

"Ya know, ya don't gotta talk if ya don't want to," I said. "I don't blame ya for losin' trust in people. But if it means anythin' to ya, your voice is probably beautiful. Just like you."

Some blush crawled onto her cheeks as she smiled slightly, turning away from me.

"Can I put my hand on your shoulder?"

She nodded and I did so.

"Don't gotta be embarrassed."

She turned to face me once more, her eyes appeared to be glowing. I couldn't tell if that was part of the experiment she was put through or just in general. Either way, it was astounding.