Terrible Things

A/N: Thank you angel_bvnny for the request! This is tied to a song, so I highly recommend listening to the song before reading this one-shot! Hope you enjoy!

"But in my dreams, I believe we're not these, look at me and you'll see, I'm not these terrible things."

Brute. Monster. Demon. I was a monstrosity and people saw it. I saw it in myself whenever I found my reflection. If they were going to see me as that, I might as well not change anything about myself. Taking in a deep breath, I lived with that revelation for a long time. That was, until I met her.

"Please, one minute of your time, your majesty," I said to the Queen.

She turned her head, staring down at me as I was pleading for her attention. Sighing, she turned her entire body, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Proceed."

"I-I come from the Wasteland."

"Stop right there," she said.

"P-Please."

"I am not goin' to waste my time on some out lander," she scoffed.

"W-With all due respect, your majesty, were you not an out lander yourself?"

She knelt onto the ground and grabbed my jaw harshly, lifting my head up. Her amber eyes turned red and for a minute, I thought I saw my life flash before me. She really was just as they say she is. A brute. A monster. A demon.

"I got rid of that part of myself long ago," she said, her voice low and calm, despite the anger in her eyes. "I do not deal with any more out landers than I already have to."

"Then you're no Queen. Just some monster pretending to be."

She threw my head away from her. Standing, she kicked me into the sand. I let out a groan as I slowly lifted myself up.

"You have no right to call me such things."

"But they're true, are they not? I should have believed everyone when I tried comin' 'ere to reason with ya. Ya don't listen to reason. All ya do is want to fight someone to get that adrenaline rush."

Her jaw clenched as she closed her eyes, tilting her head from side to side.

"And ya want to hit me. I know ya do."

"And if I do hit ya?"

"Then hit me."

She did just that. Decking me square in the face, I fell onto the sand once more. She grabbed me by the front of my shirt, lifting me high off the ground.

"Listen 'ere ya Wastelander scum," she snarled. "Ya have no right to waltz in my town, my city and demand my attention."

"I thought ya would at least listen to my story."

"I don't want to hear whatever sob story ya have. Understood?"

"It's not a sob story."

"Prove it."

"I come here seeking work."

"The jobs out in the Wasteland doesn't provide much of an income?"

"Not unless you're scavs out there and stealin' from people. You know better than anyone what it was like to live out there."

Her scowl grew angrier as she stared me down.

"If ya came here to seek work, I could use a personal maid in my quarters."

I rolled my eyes and sighed, "Fine. Whatever the Queen wants, she gets."

She dropped me, which stung since I wasn't used to being dropped from her height.