⤷ 09| HORCRUX

CHAPTER NINEhorcrux

CHAPTER NINE
horcrux

⋆. ────────── ꕥ ────────── .⋆

     THE NEXT DAY, KREACHER AND JUNE WERE MAKING BREAKFAST when she noticed a golden locket around the house elf's neck.

"What's that around your neck?" June asked curiously. "I don't think I've seen it before."

Kreacher's hand flew towards it. "Harry Potter gave it to Kreacher," he said. "It belonged to Master Regulus."

Somehow everything in that sentence was strange to June.

"It belonged to my dad?" June asked quietly.

In response, Kreacher took it off and handed it to her. "Master Regulus made Kreacher promise not to tell you until you asked after it," Kreacher said.

June looked down at the locket and rubbed her thumb over it. It was a locket of heavy gold with a serpentine S in glittering green stone inlay on the front. It opened and June took out the folded piece of parchment and opened it.

To the Dark Lord

I know I will be dead long before you read this but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret.
I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can.
I face death in the hope that when you meet your match, you will be mortal once more.

R. A. B.

June's eyes stayed on her father's initials for a few moments before darting to the one word she didn't know: Horcrux.

"What's a Horcrux?" she questioned Kreacher.

"It is terrible Dark Magic," Kreacher told her. "Master Regulus wouldn't like Kreacher telling his daughter about all of this. These are things Mistress Juniper needs to stay away from."

"If it will help me end this war, I need to know, Kreacher," June said, putting the piece of parchment back in the locker and handing it back go Kreacher. "What's a Horcrux?"

Kreacher did not look pleased, but he couldn't ignore her question. "A Horcrux is the word for an object in which a person has concealed part of their soul."

June's eyebrows shot up at this, but she stayed quiet as she let Kreacher continue.

"To create a Horcrux, a wizard or witch first had to damage their soul," Kreacher went on, his voice rasp. "This could only be achieved by deliberately and willingly committing a murder. This damage can be used to split the soul and encase it in a designated object."