Chapter 30: Attempting the Training Task

Mutsuki had Obito try climbing a tree. In the eastern border forest of Konoha, there were many trees, with some reaching over ten meters in height, and even taller ones scattered around.

Mutsuki casually pointed to a large tree that was twenty meters tall and asked Obito to try concentrating Chakra at the soles of his feet and climb it.

Obito nodded, took a deep breath, concentrated Chakra at his feet, and ascended. He managed to reach a height of around ten meters, but then, with a misstep, he lost control of the Chakra, leaving a footprint and falling down.

Mutsuki jumped up and caught Obito, silently nodding to himself. Although Obito couldn't reach the level of Asuma, he did reasonably well; at least he didn't fall after just a few steps.

There wasn't much to say about this kind of training; it simply involved persevering with practice and didn't require any special techniques.

After demonstrating a few times for Obito, Mutsuki left a shadow clone to watch over him and allowed Obito to practice on his own. Mutsuki himself went to find Might Guy, who was currently training his physique.

Among Mutsuki's three disciples, Might Guy's training regimen could be considered the most tedious. While Obito could switch to a few Ninjutsu techniques when tired of Taijutsu, Might Guy's training consisted mainly of practicing the Konoha Whirlwind and strengthening his physique.

Strengthening one's physique is not an overnight task, and this aspect of Mutsuki's teaching skills proved to be powerless. While Mutsuki's teaching skills could help Might Guy learn Taijutsu faster and make progress in a shorter time, they couldn't expedite the effectiveness of Might Guy's physical training.

The benefits gained from doing a push-up remained the same, regardless of the teaching skills applied. When Mutsuki approached Might Guy, he was doing push-ups with a large rock on his back, similar in size to himself.

"Guy, how's your progress with the Konoha Whirlwind?" Mutsuki asked as he walked up.

He wanted to test the trigger conditions for the training task, and, like Obito, Might Guy, with a trust level of three, was the best choice.

Upon hearing Mutsuki's words, Might Guy paused in his movements, maintaining his still posture as he replied, "It's a bit faster than during the exams, but not fast enough."

After his response, Might Guy removed the rock, stood up, and delivered a swift and powerful Konoha Whirlwind towards a nearby wooden post.

Mutsuki nodded. Compared to before, there was indeed some improvement, with his kicks becoming more decisive and forceful. It seemed he had gained something from his battle with Hyuga Kamon.

Improvements in physical training don't show results quickly; progress in physique typically takes months, if not longer.

"How do you think one can advance in strength?" Mutsuki asked a question that left Might Guy feeling puzzled.

"Of course, through training," Might Guy replied directly, expressing his belief that consistent practice was the key to becoming stronger.

Mutsuki shook his head and asked again, "Training is undoubtedly essential for progress and enhancing strength, but are there any other methods?"

Might Guy scratched his head, then, thinking about his improved Konoha Whirlwind and the practical exams held at the Academy, a sudden revelation struck him, and he said, "Battle!"

"Exactly, combat is also a crucial aspect of enhancing strength. In battle, you can better translate your practice into practical strength," Mutsuki said, smiling.

"When I mention battle, I'm not referring to the kind of fights you and Obito have had before; that's normal combat," Mutsuki clarified. "To progress, you need to challenge strong opponents and engage in honorable battles with those you aspire to challenge."

Listening to Mutsuki's words, Might Guy gradually pictured someone in his mind.

That person had white hair, always wore a mask, and was renowned as a super genius in Konoha.

There was no need for another name; it was the lifelong rival that Might Guy acknowledged—Hatake Kakashi!

Having progressed in strength after studying with Mutsuki, Might Guy had long harbored the desire to challenge Kakashi but had been holding it back.

He initially wanted to wait until he fully mastered the Konoha Whirlwind Taijutsu before challenging Kakashi.

However, Might Guy had now changed his mind. Would mastering the Konoha Whirlwind be enough to defeat Kakashi? Maybe not. Was he afraid of a potential failure? No.

So, why not engage in a battle with Kakashi? It could further enhance his strength.

"Yumi-sensei, I understand," Might Guy said solemnly.

Observing the expression on Might Guy's face, Mutsuki could sense that his guidance had worked. With Might Guy's proactive nature, he might even seek out Kakashi tonight.

However, what disappointed Mutsuki was the absence of a training task named "Defeat Kakashi."

"What other conditions could there be?" Mutsuki wondered. According to the original Naruto storyline, Might Guy should have a strong "desire" to defeat Kakashi at this point.

With the title of a super genius and the role of a lifelong rival, Might Guy had plenty of reasons to want to overcome Kakashi.

Carefully reflecting on the details of how Obito triggered the training task, Mutsuki identified a potential issue. Obito's approach was one of earnest plea, expressing the necessity of Mutsuki's assistance and specifying that Mutsuki must teach him the formidable Fire Release to complete the task.

"Does achieving the result require fulfilling the essential needs of the student?" Mutsuki speculated.

If that were the case, then Might Guy not triggering the training task just now made sense. Perhaps Might Guy had only ignited his enthusiasm to challenge Kakashi, without thinking about what would happen without Mutsuki.

With this rough guess in mind, Mutsuki decided not to probe further. He would wait until Might Guy challenged Kakashi and potentially failed before taking action. At that time, he would let the disciple who failed in battle feel the warmth of their sensei.

After concluding the teaching, Mutsuki went to his house in the main city area. After dinner, he headed to the park where he had previously encountered Minato and Kushina.

Fortunately, Mutsuki once again ran into Kushina and Minato there.

Perhaps because many people in the vicinity liked to come here, neither Kushina nor Minato was surprised when they saw Mutsuki.

"Oh, by the way, you left in such a hurry last time, and I forgot to ask something," Kushina suddenly remembered and inquired, "Did Lord Third old man ask you to become a tutor?"

Mutsuki nodded.

"I heard that kid is a bit rebellious, doesn't listen to Lord Third's words. Will he listen to you?" Kushina curiously asked.

Mutsuki smiled and shared the process of how he trained Asuma with them.

Kushina didn't know how Asuma felt about being taught, but she found the story quite amusing. Especially when Asuma, trying to act rebellious the next day, ended up exhausted from the rigorous training, it made Kushina marvel at Lord Third's cunning for having such a son.

Minato was also surprised by Mutsuki's teaching approach, managing to get even unwilling students to cooperate and complete the training.

Mutsuki didn't just talk about himself; he also asked Minato and Kushina some questions, and the conversation flowed smoothly. Mutsuki felt that by spending some time together like this and becoming friends, he could subtly express his interest in Sealing Jutsu and seals.

---

Don't forget to check out my patreon where you can read up to 50 advanced chapters https://www.patreon.com/CrazyNinja