Gitaut - Chapter Two

The agitated spirits refused to shut up in my head.

Something spurred them, and the village resembled a disturbed anthill too. A body landed with a loud thud and the little stream that rushed between the earthen huts was dyed in crimson by the blood of wolves. At first glance, the aftermath looked terrible but the tribesmen suffered no casualties while they killed half a dozen beasts. They piled their corpses proudly in front of the mess hall, red lines drawn behind them.

The orcs discussed the events cheerfully and waved at me when I arrived at the scene. I couldn't share their enthusiasm since I was summoned to clean up their mess. The leader of the hunters yelled.

"Hey Gitaut, good to see you dropping by!" His green skin was covered in someone else's blood. I rolled my eyes at the name.

"Oh, it's Gitaut, you missed the fun." Another orc greeted me, but what did they even know about fun? I refused to listen to that name.

"Shut up!" I demanded but found myself in the shadow cast by the huge orc chieftain. She gave me the chills, larger than most men, and with enormous tusks to bear. She furrowed her eyebrows, a stern expression on her face. "Ugh, what can I do for you today, Charlotte?"

"Nice of you to finally show up, I sent for you in the morning, and now it's afternoon." Yep, she was mad at me for coming this late, but she'd bug me for everything anyway. "I asked you for some incense a week ago, now my village was attacked by wolves. They killed our chicken, and wounded a few people."

"No incense keeps a pack of hungry wolves away." I explained but my voice felt weak in front of her. "It works on smaller critters and lone monsters but these things are smarter than that."

"Well, if they are any smart, they won't come near the tribe ever again!" The hunter hollered, patting the head of a dead wolf on top of the pile. "They ran with their tails between the legs, almost leaving behind their balls."

"Any serious injuries?" I asked and examined the mess. The twelve shacks remained untouched, but they destroyed the coop where they kept the chickens, with their feathers scattered. I nearly threw up from all that blood, even if it belonged to the animals. I came too early after all.

"Just a few bite marks, but look at them, to be safe. They wounded Mabel too." She dragged a little girl in front of me. I saw the worst injuries on her so far, but it didn't mean anything serious and she grinned, very proud of herself.

"I noticed them at dawn." She claimed, not that I asked. "I tried to chase them off, but they attacked me... That one in particular."

She pointed at one of the bodies on the pile, a wolf full of stab wounds, but the pelt may still be usable. I saw all their ribs, with so many critters scurrying around in the dense forest, they must have come from somewhere else, if they still managed to starve.

"And I told you to stay inside!" Charlotte scolded her which seemed unfair. She had to stay inside, but they forced me to leave my comfy hut for this. "It's too dangerous to leave the village without an adult."

"Oh, come on, but I'm bored. Nothing to do most of the time." The girl complained while I checked her arm. They would have healed naturally, but I asked the spirits to treat her. "Oh, that tickles, and it doesn't even hurt now. Thanks, Gitaut, you're a fine shaman."

"Then don't call me that." I grumbled, mostly to myself. "Anyone else injured line up, so I can treat you. I don't want to spend all day here when I'm busy with the orchards."

"Right, good thing we planted those." One of the hunters noted, with a few light scratches on his chest. "I guess we won't eat eggs for a while, we'll have to trade with someone again."