Nati - Chapter Five

My head wanted to explode.

I grew a huge hump on the back of it and couldn't help but hiss if something touched it. I felt dizzy and clueless about where I woke up or how I got there. The morning light irritated me and my bed nearly broke my spine.

To call it a bed felt too generous, just a stack of straw on the messy ground and I itched from it everywhere. Ugh, my head hurt badly, and worst of all, my stomach felt empty, grumbling all the time and that sound became too familiar by now.

I tried to remember, but things were hazy. I arrived at the university one moment and chased after a cute girl, then I turned into her somehow. The campus long disappeared, but what happened next?

I met Alex, but she looked different now, and... Yes, I found this settlement in the middle of the night. Someone cooked meat in here, a huge person, green and menacing, and then they hit me in the head.

I found myself still in one piece though and they put me in bed, whatever that meant. At least they didn't kill me, which seemed like a solid win with my current luck. To die twice on the same day, yes... I already died once.

For now, I still felt the lingering smell of food. It convinced me to move so I drowsily sat up to observe the room. It looked rather spartan and primitive, the round roof covered with reed, no chimney or a hole for the smoke to escape. They built the walls from dirt, with only a stool, a stove, a chest, and more straw in the way of furniture.

When I tried to look down two large mounds obstructed most of my vision, which I couldn't remember from earlier. They felt sensitive, I blinked in confusion while I inspected them. My head ached and after a hasty move, I felt sharp pain below that made me cry out.

As it turned out I sat on my tail... Yes, now I had a fluffy and warm appendage too. My hair was a mess though, entangled with the rest of my body and it took me a while to put the puzzle pieces together. Alexandra gave me this new body, meaning I didn't just dream it up. I died in the eyes of my family and everyone in my world, and my roommate hit on my sister. I needed to deal with that later.

I heard a noise and the tall, green, muscular woman from yesterday quietly observed me. Yes, she looked like a woman but with massive tusks. They made me jump after I cluelessly fondled my recently gained body parts right in front of her. I felt the blood rush to my face.

"I just... I wasn't!" I tried to explain myself as I let go of my chest and sat on my heels. I didn't even consider if she understood anything I said. She must have because she laughed. "What happened? Where am I?"

"Oh, you visited our small village at night, Goddess!" The creature said in a husky voice and I could perfectly understand every word. "The leader of the hunters put you to sleep since he thought a stray from the neighboring tribe came to steal our food. By accident, of course, the people became restless recently and acted before asking questions. If you'd like, I will punish him, once he returns from the hunt."

"G-goddess, me? N-no, I'm... Wait, you people know me?" I stuttered in confusion, but Alexandra introduced herself as the Goddess of Luck. I didn't want to impersonate her per se, but I needed to make the best out of the situation, whatever granted me food and safety. "Who are you?"

"Of course. While in the darkness we didn't recognize you, but everyone knows the great Alexandra." She bowed her head and from that huge creature, it felt surreal. "I am Charlotte, chief of this humble tribe. I welcome you with great pride and honor and sorry for that little incident..."

"No, you don't have to worry about it hahaha!" My voice sounded so different than it used to, I fought with my conscience but didn't want her to bonk my head again. "And would it change something, if I told you... Hypothetically of course, that I'm not the Goddess?"