Elder - Chapter Thirty

"My King, I uncovered the terrible truth."

I could not see his reaction as I bowed my head too low, but it was all part of the plan. Stern was right next to me, doing the same.

"And who would you be?" I heard the question. The King's suite had a heavy air to it. The curtains were down, casting shadows on my gray clothes. Of course, he wouldn't recognize me anymore.

"She is the Elder advisor to the Pope, your Majesty, your most loyal servant." Stern introduced me as we agreed, and I bowed even deeper.

"His Holiness' magic has changed me beyond recognition, but he couldn't change my loyalty towards Your Highness. Please hear me out." I pleaded as his servants ran all over the place.

"Elder? What kind of magic?" The King sounded confused. He would not leave his bed, even at this late hour. He has been in this state ever since I sent his daughter away. "How is that possible? Speak up."

"It truly pains me to say this, but the Pope has turned against the people of Sanctuary," I spoke, still staring at the ground. My voice had to sound regretful and weak. "I uncovered his secret of practicing taboo arts."

I heard his bed creaking as the king suddenly sat up.

"Taboo arts? Raise your head and speak clearly." He demanded, and I suppressed a smile. "Where is that man anyway? I haven't seen him."

"Nobody did, my King," I claimed, looking into his eyes. "As his advisor, even I was unprepared for the terrible truth. It is too frightening to even talk about it..."

"Speak already, or I'll have your head taken." I got his full attention, as I figured. I bowed once more before beginning the story.

"I have irrefutable evidence, that His Holiness is a necromancer." I dropped the news. The expression the King made was already worth it. But of course, I wasn't done. "He gave me a mission and promised to turn back all the years I spent serving him and his predecessors. First I could not believe it, but here I am. Your Majesty can see the results."

"Did he perform some form of necromancy on you?" He asked, waving to his maids to help him up. He was in a sorry state, as expected.

"He drained the life forces of innocent followers of the Cranta Church to make me young again," I claimed, pausing for a bit. I wanted to make sure he got all the horrifying details, that I worked hard to make up in the last few days. "It came as a complete surprise, I was damned to watch his cursed ritual unfold and take the lives of innocents."

"I can vouch for her words, my King." Stern stepped in, as we previously agreed. "I found two withered corpses in the council chambers next to the Elder, who was in complete shock at the time. She cooperated with us and confessed the events, requesting an immediate audience with Your Highness. The Pope has not been found yet."

"What is the meaning of this? What mission did that man give you?"

"Your Majesty, I'm too afraid to say." I liked the face he made and wanted to drag this out as long as possible. I worked hard for this, after all, I deserved it. "He demanded, I take one of the sacred gargoyles and fly after your only daughter, the adored Princess Elizabeth, and..."

"What are you saying?" The King was now finally on his legs, but they shook. The maids supported him from both sides, but I was sure it wouldn't be enough once I continued.

"He wanted me to sacrifice her to achieve godhood," I said theatrically. If he had the slightest idea about the inner workings of magic, I couldn't fool him this easily. The Pope, a mere priest could never hope to enter the Cranta Pantheon. One could not become an equal to the gods as their servant, especially not with a simple sacrifice.