Gitaut - Chapter Twenty One

Why did they leave the wounded here?

Charlotte should have known better. She was one thing to come here and tell me what the villagers wanted while she brought me food, but the brute and the girl had no reason to stay in my shack. I built it deep in the woods for the very reason to keep everyone out. It was not meant to be the tribe's clinic.

I had the spirits heal their wounds regardless, and they only needed rest. But it didn't have to be my place. They would have been better off anywhere else and I felt anxious and even jumped when Charlotte arrived for her morning visit. My brain was a mess.

"How are they? Everything's fine?" She asked without a greeting.

"They were fine already yesterday," I complained. "How long do you plan to keep them here? Couldn't sleep a wink."

"Come on, they won't bite you." She claimed, unconvincingly.

"Who knows what they will do when they wake up?" I asked. "The last thing they remember is that they were fighting. Waking up in a stranger's place, maybe they will panic and attack me."

"You are overthinking it as always." The chieftain waved me off. She didn't take my worries seriously. "They won't bully you, nobody will."

"And what if they carry some kind of disease?" I knew they didn't since the spirits diagnosed them already, but still...

"They fought, weren't poisoned or sick," Charlotte shrugged.

"Just what the hell happened to this girl anyway?" I inquired. The least she could do was to fill me in if I already had to treat them. "Hana was smashed and scratched, I can understand that, but she was malnourished, exhausted, electrocuted, burned, and her joints looked like an old woman's despite her age. As if someone drained her life force."

"I don't know, we found her like this." She claimed, sitting down. "As for Hana, they engaged a wizard in close combat. Or maybe it was a mage since she was pretty strong, and had a gargoyle with her. It rammed itself into Hana to allow the human to retreat."

"What? Where did this happen?" I asked upset. "Will they attack the village too? Why didn't you tell me yesterday?"

"We ran into them by the old capital. Had nothing to do with it, but Hana recognized their little sister and rushed in to save her." Charlotte gave me a short explanation, and my jaw dropped. "It was more important to heal them than the details."

"Wait, this is Hana's little sister Omerta?" I asked, and the chieftain nodded. "The Omerta, that serves Alpha and a member of the Twelve Champions? And she fought nearby?"

"Yes, that's about sums it up." I had no idea how she was so calm. I paced back and forth. "By the looks of it, it's Ten Champions now."

"I'll have to look for a new place," I mumbled, sweating heavily. "I sure don't want to have anything to do with either the humans or the New Order. They are both horrifying. I've got to hide somewhere."

"You are overreacting." She claimed. "Anyway, I came to check on these two and inform you that the hunters acquired a wyvern hide. They want it tanned as soon as possible. Can you do something about that?"

"You can't be serious. We have much bigger problems now. The Inquisitorias might consider some sort of retaliation." I tried to warn her, but she didn't look me in the eye. "Wait, they're already on their way here? There is something else you're not telling me."

"Sharp as always." She nodded, and I was about to throw up. "Well, we may or may not have been visited by the Goddess of Luck. About a week ago, to be exact. She was adamant, that she just possessed her body, whatever that meant, but I decided to let her stay."