Gitaut - Chapter Sixty Three

The spirits gone wild.

It happened more often recently, ever since the Goddess arrived in our village. No, even before that. When the otherworlder appeared in her body I wished I could get close to either of them, but Alexandra only ever greeted me once. As if she completely forgot about me, and was always away or busy. And Nati, she was wary of me for some reason. The more I wanted to approach her, the larger the distance she kept from me.

As if I didn't even exist. I wanted to die.

"Hey Gitaut, what are you up to this early?" The carpenter asked me, pulling me back to the present. I felt like yelling at him but it was all for naught anyway. That nickname would stick for as long as I lived, and what was I even doing here? Right, I followed the guidance of the spirits. So they brought me to the center of the village, but I could barely recognize it now, it was busy and dense.

"I um, came to look at the wyvern hide," I mumbled something that came to mind. A month ago people threw dead wolves in front of the mess hall, the largest building in the village at the time, but now it seemed insignificant next to the embassy the beastfolk built up.

And not just that, they almost finished two more buildings of similar size on both sides of it. One was an inn, the other an apartment to house guests and permanent residents of the village. They enclosed the old courtyard from three sides, with the small stream bordering it from the south. It had a small stone bridge, and the square was paved, like a proper town center where the people gathered and traded.

Or the kids could play their new and odd games with the balls. Another invention the otherworlder made. It was busier here than ever so I much preferred to stay away from places like that. But I couldn't when the spirits guided me here, or when I just hoped to see someone specifically.

"It's rare to see you, Gitaut." The blacksmith greeted me. He was also preparing to move his shop soon. I nodded towards him and tried to walk faster before he dragged me in with some random request.

However, he didn't do that anymore since he worked with the ork witch, Omerta. He even got the Goddess to make him a huge golem. If only I got this lucky. They weren't here though, and would avoid me anyway. I forced myself to enter the village every day now in vain, hoping to run into them. It was such a pain with so many people in here.

"Ah, shaman, need something?" I just had to think about her, and Omerta appeared. At least she didn't call me by that name, but she was well aware of my identity and even said something about the Demon Lord wanting something from me. If the two other girls avoided me, I tried my best to avoid this one. But of course, I couldn't just insult Hank's little sister. I bowed, then shook my head before I kept following the lead.

It certainly didn't come from her, at least.

The bathhouse was the other large structure they built recently, now complete with a laundry. I was not needed there either, they asked Lambert to help them with healing potions, making me so jealous.

His rice paddy also promised a large yield, growing incredibly fast. In comparison, the harvest from my orchard could not feed the original, much smaller tribe alone. His field should have been enough, and there were so many more people here too, but still not enough hands.

"Gitaut, did you come to play?" Now even the children were mocking me. I remembered treating her wounds not that long ago, but Lambert was better at healing than my spirits as well. That human wizard pissed me off and almost banished the otherworlder inside Alexandra's body.

"I'm working, Mabel." Was all I could say, lost in thought. I was still on a mission, after all. I ended up in front of the bathhouse.

The spirits suggested going there. The magicules were much denser inside than anywhere else. Was it because of all the slimes they started using? It seemed unlikely. Those weak beasts had practically no magic power, the best they could do was to annoy people. There must have been something else, I could easily feel the fluctuations in the mana, even without the spirits pointing it out for me now.