Elder - Ch. 110

The day has finally arrived.

I watched it from the highest tower of the main temple as the undead slowly limped towards the gates of the Sanctuary. I rigged the structure to blow up once they got near enough with a spectacle and timed things to arrive right as the panic washed over the entire city.

It was sad that Stern wouldn't be here to witness my magnum opus but I removed him from the city for the reason so that nobody could claim a single morsel of my glory for themselves. Not even my future husband.

The explosion shook even the massive temple building and was probably heard across the city, and the hundreds of zombies slowly poured in through the large gap. The Royal Company reacted slowly without their leader since it was never their duty to guard the city and respond to such attacks. But that was also a calculated part of my plan.

I still felt bad about eliminating all those diligent undead without reclaiming the life force I'd planted into them. But everyone in the city had to be convinced without casting any doubt on me. The gargoyle below the tower's window came to life and spread its wings waiting for me to jump on its back. I flew it right over the gate and inspected the carnage below from up close.

The idiots of Sanctuary gathered near the broken gate to see what happened, instead of running for their lives, and I considered letting a few of them die just to teach them a lesson. But no, I needed to pose as their savior, or I'd never become a saint. I worked too hard, and long to let this opportunity go to waste. I dove in and landed in front of the advancing zombie horde, replacing the screams with cheers.

"It's the Elder! She came to save us." I heard them shout. I placed a few of my men into the crowd to make sure everyone knew who to thank for being saved, and it was probably one of them yelling out my name.

Even before I did something, the panic subsided, and the people cheered for my arrival. I should have timed my entrance a bit later to have them take the danger seriously. But I was already here, and the zombies started thrashing the buildings closest to the gate, other than a few guards and civilians, there were no serious casualties so far.

"Begone, creatures of evil!" I yelled the first thing that came to mind. I should have spent more time writing a proper script for this but my deeds should have spoken louder than my words. I released the flashiest purification spell I could think of, and pulled the plug on the undead closest to me, making them fall and spectacularly turn into glittering dust. "I will send you all back whence you came from."

The cheer got louder behind me, but it didn't feel well-earned. It felt underwhelming after all this planning and effort I put into this. Maybe the zombies weren't threatening enough, although the explosion that deleted the city gate was quite something. I pretended the previous spell drained me and sent my gargoyle on a rampage.

Soldiers rushed in to contain the invading menace, and I ensured they looked weak compared to me or the undead, releasing a few fancy attacks on the zombies closest to me. I lost to my urge to drain some life forces and doing my best to hide the spell, I attacked the Royal Company's men directly. Just to let them know they walked into danger, and to make my wrinkles disappear.

Panic swept over the people again, and once I made sure they couldn't trace back that strike to me, I released another purification magic that wiped out half the attacking force. Or at least that's how they must have perceived it, but in reality, I just retracted the mana that moved them, and they practically disintegrated on their own, without extra effort on my part. The purification spell was only good against grime, but given the situation, it looked spectacular as the specks of dust disappeared.

"Praise the Elder! We're saved." The agents in the crowd chanted and it finally started to catch on. Once I finished the last of my former tools, the people of Sanctuary cheered for me as they meant it, and I felt a strange power coursing through my body. Similarly, when I drained someone's life forces, this did not make me lose my age, rather, the magicules started to overflow within me.