Nati - Ch. 120

"I can't keep it up..."

Once Omerta's barrier collapsed, the temperature surged inside our defensive dome. Gitaut's and my spell were the only things that stood against the pressure, but we sweated bullets.

The ground turned into glass around our sanctuary and the jungle disappeared. I couldn't tell how long the dragon showered us with its intense fire breath, but he didn't show signs of stopping. He let up at an arbitrary moment, touching down by our dome with a force that rumbled the ground below our feet.

The heat might have stabilized, but even Ember fell to the ground who loved her flames. Omerta and my little sister gave up earlier, my legs shaking too. The shaman surprised me by being the least affected, but the dragon's roar didn't let me think for long. Its magnificent wings spread out and flapped once, wiping out all the hot air stuck under the barrier.

Now that I had a good look at it, dragons couldn't be mistaken for wyverns. They were larger, with scales instead of reptile skin, and sported an extra pair of limbs. No spikes like on their venomous cousins. and weren't as thin or gaunt either. Many horns grew from its skull, its massive jaws filled with needle-sharp teeth, each the size of my legs.

They disappeared in a blink as the dragon transformed. A human with tanned skin and eastern clothes took its place and dispelled our barrier with a touch. After the deadly sauna, it felt like thousands of feet deep in the ocean, the pressure almost crushing me. I imagined my black hole would have a similar effect on its targets, but he didn't cast a spell.

"You are not from the Inquisitorias." He didn't ask questions, he stated the facts. "You aren't even humans. A shaman, three witches, and a homunculus. What an odd group. But you seem more potent than the other party that descended into my realms. Even though a god possessed one of them from the Cranta Pantheon."

"W-who are you?" It couldn't hurt to ask if he already talked to us, but opening my mouth under his heavy gaze was challenging. He didn't rush to answer, instead, he gazed at each of us, bearing down on me when it was my turn. He didn't cast anything, it was the pressure coming from the density of his magicules. And he adjusted it on command, peeling it back until I could breathe again. No wonder Gitaut called him a god, I had no doubts about it now.

"I am Addas, guardian deity of the nomads of Appenon and conqueror of this realm." His voice resounded deep inside my mind. The rest of us kneeled at his greatness, although they didn't choose to do so. His sheer pressure pinned them to the ground, only Gitaut and I were still standing, and it did not go unnoticed. "Hmm, to think two of you would have the potential to become gods yourselves. That's even more impressive than the possessed human."

I had so many questions, but couldn't decide which ones to ask, or if I was even allowed to speak. The smoldering glass replacing the jungle told me to remain silent unless prompted. All kinds of creatures filled the area, keeping their distance but sneering at us. As if Addas wasn't enough, minotaurs, harpies, beholders, and other creatures surrounded us. Dozens, if not hundreds of monsters I had never seen before.

"So what reason did you have to intrude into my realm?" He asked, strolling in the devastated landscape. "I can tell you didn't come from the Inquisitorias. Neither did the human group my minions wiped out. But it feels odd that you both invaded from the opposite ends of this world. Depending on your answer, I can allow you to return to the surface, or destroy you right now, and don't try to lie to me."

"We wouldn't even consider it." Gitaut bowed to the human, sounding way calmer than I expected. "We caught wind of a dungeon in Baran and looked for a way to get its core, but didn't intend to conquer it. We didn't know Your Grace controlled this realm, and the Inquisitorias are also our enemy."