Gorgon - Chapter Sixty Five

"Omerta, you're here."

The orc witch nodded, dropping herself on a log faster than I could offer her the place. Her huge companion remained standing. I couldn't tell if it was an ogre or an orc, or why he wore women's clothing, but I would not dare to ask him about it, even with an army behind me. Instead, I sat down too, readying my questions.

"So where should we start?" I asked, glancing to the side. Avalon and Ember were here too, but I didn't post guards, not to intimidate her.

"What do you want to know, Gorgon?" She asked unfazed. Her legs crossed, wearing all black, the orc girl looked like she owned the place. But I could see some signs of nervousness. Her legs shook a bit, but her entire body resonated with them.

"Let's start right in the middle." I leaned back, trying to act confident too. "The Champions reported that you engaged in a magic duel with a human. Where was this? Why? And who was it?"

"It happened nearby, although this road was not laid down yet." She said, pointing at a small hill to the north. "We landed to let our wyverns rest, and were greeted by the Elder of the Cranta Chruch."

"What? How did she know, you'd be here?" I asked. According to the witnesses, she was indeed fighting someone powerful, but the Elder of the Inquisitorias? She was probably telling the truth though.

"How did she know? Beats me." She shrugged at first. "Maybe it was luck, maybe she had some informants among us. And I also have a reason to believe, she was the one that gave the Demon Lord information too."

"T-that's, do you have any proof?" I tried to keep my cool. Avalon beside me did it way better than me, and Ember didn't even pay attention to us. She was mesmerized by that huge orc standing behind the other witch. I mean, he was sure odd and menacing at the same time.

"Proof? No, nothing that could prove it beyond a doubt. But she almost killed me. I wasn't exactly trying to gather evidence at the time." Omerta explained, and now her bodyguard stepped forward too.

"I fought her. The Elder, I mean." He claimed. His voice was raspy, but the way he talked was very affectionate. It was giving me the creeps. Just what was his deal? "She easily overpowered both my sister and me. If it weren't for Nati, we'd both be dead by now."

"Nati? Who's Nati?" I asked, confused. "I thought your chieftain was called Charlotte. Is that an orc warrior, or the shaman's name?"

"No, she's..." Omerta went silent and exchanged glances with the other orc. It looked like they were telepathically communicating. In the end, she must have changed her mind. "It's not important, just a member of the tribe. But we got confirmation later from people who served under that mage. She was almost certainly the Elder and plotted to take over the Cranta Church. It seems obvious, that she played both sides and tried to cheat the Demon Lord too."

"Do you think the old man is scammed that easily?" The Fire Witch joined in, looking for a fight. "So the great witch of the Twelve Champions, backed by the rest of her squad had her ass handed to her by a single human mage? Just how pathetic you can be?"

"Ember, please." I tried to calm her down before they jumped at each other's throats. Both of them seemed ready to explode. "The Demon Lord already suspected the informant trying to fool him. Please, disregard her and continue. What was the source of your information?"

"I um, heard it from the Princess, after the Captain captured her. I managed to regroup with them in the village." She started reluctantly, saying as if it wasn't a big deal. I was surprised.

"So the Champions did succeed with the mission?" I asked, standing up. "And then Dioneras interrogated the Princess? We already wrote his mission off as a failure, but if he's returning with her, that changes everything. I have to write a report quickly."