Dio - Ch. 75

"C'mere, come all!"

It was the first human settlement I've visited since the Collapse. At least the first, that wasn't abandoned, and if anything, it was quite busy. And loud. Especially that bard in the middle of the market.

"Here, listen to my stories about the far eastern wonders!" He shouted nonstop. "You won't hear about the people of Saipole anywhere else. Come and buy me a drink and a meal, and I'll tell you everything to know. The legendary Sea People, beautiful princesses."

"What would a deserter from Appenon even know about the Far East?" One of the locals, a dark-skinned Lansumer asked. Or rather, grumbled. "Go away now, you are ruining my business."

"Well, I'm glad you asked." The guy perked up, conveniently ignoring the insulting parts. "It sure is a long story, I'd be happy to share with you along with some booze. Or I could shut up about it, and drink it alone."

"Away with you, beggar. If you ain't selling and buying, leave the marketplace already." The locals seemed to be quite upset with him. It was odd, considering they completely ignored us, Lesser Races, entering their city. Of course, we were smarter than riding in on the Nightmares.

After our first run-in with the humans, we left them outside the city limits, further north on the shore. I was sure, the abyssal mounts did not activate any kind of magical aura and did not make them hallucinate, but the fishermen ran all the same. And apparently, it wasn't because of us. Even now, I could see a few goblins, beastmen, and a hob strolling along on their marketplace as if that was the most natural thing.

Strangely, I haven't seen any orcs though. Landsum was the birthplace of their species, and they were nowhere to be seen. And from the humans, most of them were locals with dark, almost black skins. Apart from the one Appenon nomad, I couldn't see any variety.

"Don't make me call the guards on you. Leave before they throw you out." The local merchant was still arguing with the guy. Bastion could no longer listen to him, the young ogre's nature was to protect.

"Hey, good man. I'm interested in what you can say. I can share my meal with you in a more leisurely place." He offered, making the merchant grumble some more, but only until he saw the giant, nearly twice his size. He quickly ran back to his stall, and the bard seemed satisfied. He jumped up with a smile, reaching out his hand towards the ogre. He took it, trying his best not to crush it.

"Excellent choice, good sir. I'm Hakim the Bard, and let me tell you, you look just as magnificent as Alpha, they call the Demon Lord. Have you heard of him before?" The guy sure knew how to butter up someone whether a human or a beast. What he got wrong was that the Demon Lord was a hobgoblin, not an ogre. Though by the size alone it was hard to tell.

"I have, yes. Some intriguing stories." The ogre answered, introducing himself too. I was glad he didn't give us away right off the bat, but Fang already looked like someone having a heart attack. "I'm Bastion, I hope you don't mind if my friends listen to your stories too?"

"Oh no, the more the merrier. Especially if it's booze." He bowed towards us too, then looked at each of us to find a flattering comparison. "You good goblin sir, look like a seasoned pirate captain from the days before the Storm. Is that eyepatch made of an abyssal monster?"

I got to give it to him, he had his eyes for things. I took the hand he offered and shook it real good. I introduced myself as Dio, but the next thing he said shocked our beastmen companion.

"And you, good sire. Aren't you the husband of the world-famous beauty, Anna the Tailor? Because you almost look like Fang Silberwulf, the Champion!" He yelled as if it was part of his usual routine, but Fang's jaw dropped. He was always complaining about me giving away the small secrets, but he could not show more clearly how much he was shocked. Well, I was too. How the hell did this bard know? Or did he even realize, that he was right? "Ah, don't be so surprised, I have an excellent memory. If I ever heard or saw something, be it a page in a book, or a song I have heard, I will remember it forever. And you look like the hero, from the Chronicles of the Twelve Champions."