Gorgon - Chapter Fifty Eight

The Demon Lord was furious.

"What is taking you so long?" His deep voice echoed in my head. I kneeled in front of him, staring at the ground, but failed to recall how I got here in the first place. "Answer Us, Gorgon. We gave you a mission and told you failure is not an option. Report to Us at once."

I wanted to, but my mouth was gone, simply fused shut. I could not say a single word. It caught me by surprise but no matter how much I tried I couldn't make a sound. I looked up to see eye to eye with the colossal being, but he didn't seem to care about my strange condition.

He stood at his massive throne but we weren't in the Ghell fortress. We were on the highlands, lizardmen hordes swarming in from all sides. This couldn't have been real. I needed to do, or at least say something but couldn't. The Demon Lord did not even acknowledge the looming threat around us, he kept repeating his demand.

"Answer Us, Captain, or after your ability to lead, you lost your ability to speak too?" He asked, and I tried nodding my head.

"Don't worry, Bullhead, I'll deal with this." Someone suddenly touched my shoulder. It was the Fire Witch, but somehow she looked much larger than usual. Looking up at her statuesque body, I was truly in awe of her feline features. Her cat ears were hidden under that pointy hat, but her fluffy tail swished with anticipation. She held out her hand like when she blew up that bridge.

But she wasn't aiming for the quickly approaching reptile swarms. She reached out toward the Demon Lord directly, his eyes menacingly glowing in red, almost like that strange crystal we found at the lizardman village. I was convinced, it was the same crimson magic stone, aiming to take over my mind and body and transform it.

"We were all betrayed, but these glorious flames will cleanse everything touched by sins," Ember announced, steadily raising her voice. Her red tunic danced in the vibrating air currents like fire itself. I could already tell, what was about to happen, but couldn't do anything about it. Not only my mouth but my legs and arms became useless too. "Fret not, Bullhead, if you have a pure heart, you'll survive. Probably. Come forth, my beautiful, glorious Backfire."

"Wait!" I shouted at the top of my lungs. Finally, I was able to make a sound and found myself hugging the shapely legs of the witch. Her eyes were wide open, and she looked at me surprised. There was no time for that, the lizardmen must have been near but... Now that I turned around, they were all gone. The Demon Lord too, and the highlands. I was still on the imperial road but held Ember's thighs instead of the reins.

"B-bullhead!" Her face was bright red, trying to push me away. I was confused. "Y-you are a pervert, let me gooo!"

She smacked her fist into my head, right between the horns. She was way stronger than I would have expected. I fell, still struggling to make sense of the situation. She ceased her attack but held her hands in between us. If I were to move, she was ready to release a firestorm.

"Oh, sorry about that." I heard an unfamiliar voice. "It must have been my animals causing some sort of hallucination."

The witch turned to look at the stranger, then glanced back at me.

"Are you back to normal?" She asked me suspiciously, and I vehemently nodded. "Did their aura knock you out from that far away? Ugh, your mind is much weaker than I thought."

"W-what are you talking about?" I stuttered, unsure if I should stand up, or if she would burn me alive if I moved. "What happened?"

"I must apologize, dear beastmen." I heard that voice again, this time from much closer. "Your raptors kind of scared me for a moment, and this stallion released his fear aura on you."