Cath - Chapter Thiry Five

A bright flash blinded me for a moment.

Sparks rained down on me, but I didn't feel a thing. When we started our journey, I prepared for the worst and grabbed the lightest, most expensive armor I found in the Guard's armory. It was said to be resistant to magic, but I just now had the chance to test it. And it worked perfectly. But the Princess wasn't magic-proof and the guards still surrounded us.

"Lady Elder, I'm sorry to disappoint, but your tricks won't work." I tried to sound confident and took a step towards her. My eyes scanned the courtyard for escape routes, thinking about a prayer to use. I bought some time by taunting the men around. "I used to train some of these people and honestly feel ashamed. I seem to have done a terrible job..."

"Then why are you sweating so much already?" The Elder lowered her arm. From what I heard at that conference, she must have been quite capable in hand-to-hand combat. This was far from over.

"Please excuse me, my lady. I ran all the way here after I beat up the troops of my successor." If I learned anything from the Thirteenth Champion, it was to talk nonsense until I caught my breath. "He gave me some insights about your doings while we were away. I don't mean to sound boastful, but he is quite the downgrade compared to me."

"He struggles to keep his mouth shut but is of royal blood. As he puts it, they're all useless to begin with." The Elder shrugged. I quietly mumbled my prayer while she talked. "I'm afraid there won't be any witnesses if that's what you're playing at. The townsfolk were ordered to stay in their homes, and mourn the Princess."

"What?!" Elizabeth yelled behind my back. The soldiers did not advance on us but kept a closed formation with no gaps to slip through.

"Indeed, very unfortunate. The King lost his daughter and too old to be left without an heir. He will name Stern his successor, so I hope you didn't slay him..." The Elder monologued while I finished my prayer to Remmol. "Maybe I could spread the rumor that you were the one murdering her Highness as well, that would be quite entertaining."

"He lost his sword after my first swing, and I don't kill defenseless people. Although I'm sure you'd resurrect him anyway." I claimed, thinking about one last taunt. "He told me everything, so it's a little boring to hear it the second time, but now the Princess also knows about your schemes. This will spare us some time after we broke through towards the castle."

"You can try, but..." I didn't wait for her to finish. I was the Captain of the Guard, I knew exactly where the main lines of the defenses would be. She had all the resources to cut us off from the castle. My living quarters were in the opposite direction.

I dashed towards the Elder at full speed with my falchion raised. At least this is what they all saw. Once I activated the miracle, I took a sharp turn to the right and assaulted the guards. As I prayed for the next miracle, swinging my sword, they never knew what hit them.

I couldn't coordinate with the Princess ahead of time. Once I cleared a path, I rushed back to grab her arm. The Elder still faced the illusion, granted by the famed Tactician God. I finished my second prayer before it dissolved, pushing Her Majesty through the gap.

"Just run straight," I whispered to her. "Don't look back."

With that out of the way, I spun around to block the bare-handed attack from the Elder. She moved lightning-fast, and her hand felt heavier than a blacksmith's hammer, but I kept up thanks to my second miracle. Compared to us, the soldiers stood still.

"Don't let the Princess escape!" The Elder shouted, but they reacted slowly. I parried her strikes and attempted a riposte. Her hands were faster than my falchion, and I needed some distance. I aimed a kick at her guts, but my leg never made contact. I ducked, then drove my elbow back.