Nati - Chapter Sixty Nine

"This one's dead."

Gitaut didn't know tact, humans weren't the same to him as they were to me. On a positive note, we managed to save the lives of ten knights, with the last one in Lambert's hands. Two of them were already dead when the golems brought them in, and one of them bled out regardless of their expert healing magic. The crossbows were more powerful than I thought, but who knows how many lives they saved among the Lesser Racest just now?

"Nati, can you give me one more healing potion?" Lambert asked, sweating heavily. He spent the last hour doing difficult surgeries, all inside his mind, using complex spells on the soldiers. I could not imagine, how tiring it must have been. I was mentally drained after just thirty minutes of trying to read that memory crystal Fenna gave me.

"Here you go. If you need more, I'll have to grab them from your room though." I noted, handing it over. We were also out of bandages, the two of them did everything possible to save them all. I started to see them in a different light, thinking I could try learning from them.

"That one should do, I'm almost done, thanks." Lambert shook his head, then closed his eyes again to concentrate. I couldn't help but wonder if I would ever cast spells, however simple, on my own. The court wizard never finished his training and Gitaut was also a dropout. At least one did magic by himself, while the orc had no choice but to become a shaman. "The liver was punctured."

"Want me to take over?" Gitaut offered. "The spirits said they are willing to treat one more, but you'll have to offer them a majestic meal."

"I'm nearly there, but you are welcome to help." The wizard answered. While the rivalry between him and Omerta seemed natural, the air between these two felt rather awkward. Or maybe it was just me, I felt strange around them so far, but again, I tried to change my attitude towards them. "Can you see to the bleeding?"

At least I wasn't about to throw up. Spending a month in another world was rough on my stomach in more ways than one, but if anything, I started to get used to seeing blood and was closer to doing magic than ever. The crystal was still in my pocket, feeling warm against my thigh. If I thought about it hard, it showed me similar images the Goddess and Omerta projected into my head when they helped me.

I still struggled to remember any of it, but I could call on those, as long as I had this crystal. I couldn't wait to try it out, but the time wasn't right. I needed to rest and find a calm, quiet place. That just wasn't going to happen today.

"You got it," Lambert noted, almost as if he answered my thoughts but talked about the bleeding instead. The shaman managed to stop it, wiped the sweat off his face, and stretched his back. "I think he will survive now, but I'm done for the day, I need to meditate."

"And cook. The spirits are looking forward to it." Gitaut claimed, acting more natural than I have ever seen him. Until he noticed that I was still there, and his entire stance changed for the worse. "I um, think we all did a great job."

But as fate would have it, it was still not time for us to rest. I heard the guards yelling on the walls, and a moment later, an enormous beast flew over our heads. I thought it was a dragon, but it didn't have arms. Its skin was rough and dark orange, with spikes growing out of its spine, from its head to the end of the tail. My heart almost stopped, thinking we were under attack, but I saw the creature riding on its back. It was tiny, compared to the beast, a goblin.

"Help!" He yelled as he landed next to us. "There is a huge battle going on at the crossroads. The lizardmen completely overran us."

I couldn't believe it when I saw the other person they carried. It was multiple times larger than the goblin, but I couldn't see them first since they were tied to the beast in a vertical position.