Elder - Chapter Seventy One

"L-let them go."

Was it the Goddess? I stomped on her allies, my gargoyle rampaging in the middle of their village, and she was just standing there, asking me in a shaky voice. Yes, she wasn't a big deal.

"Last time, you caught me by surprise, but I'm not going to lose to you now," I claimed, throwing the helpless Lambert to the ground. As expected, he couldn't put up a fight at all. Well, the element of surprise was on my side. Slipping away in the chaos of battle was the right call, since I ordered my soldiers to retreat from here, these fools thought they had already won. They fell straight for my bait. "You stay there, and watch."

I sharpened my palms and punched a hole clear through the chest of the orc brute. I ripped his heart out. Oh, I wanted to do this for so long, that I even considered reanimating him for a moment. It would have been hilarious to see them struggle against their former comrade.

"Hana!" One of the onlookers yelled in desperation. They were already on the ground, looking harmless. But I didn't have the magicules to waste on such things, nor the time. I had to make do with holding his still-beating heart in my hands. The life left his massive body, the beating getting more and more faint in my palm. "You bastard."

I heard cries from every direction. They really must have loved this brute. It was music to my ears, but they couldn't do anything against me. The only opponent I had my eyes on wouldn't even move. The black-haired Goddess was just standing there, staring at the heart, her tail was between her legs, and she didn't even move until it finally stopped.

"I so wanted to do this. Last time he made me break a sweat, but I could have killed him, if you didn't attack me from behind." I claimed, laughing. I felt so much better. When the bastard shot me with that weird weapon, I thought I would die. I could still feel the pain, but it was only fuelling my madness. "The revenge is mine, and you are the next in line. Not such a big brave girl now, that you have to face me directly, huh? I can't believe I was worried about you."

I threw away the heart of the dead orc, and slowly raised my arm towards her. Her mouth moved, but I couldn't hear what she was saying. She seemed so weak, so pathetic, I wanted to crush her right here and now, take her place as the only deity on the continent.

But I needed to hear what she was saying first. I was curious, it drove me crazy. She cried, as pathetic as she was, tears rolled down her face. She mumbled something quietly, instead of taking her revenge. Why? What was her deal? Now the least I could do was to listen to it. I held back on my attacking spell and waved at my gargoyle to quiet down that rampaging mount. He froze up in place.

"What is it?" I looked around. It already neutralized everyone nearby, who could harm me. The golems only took a moment to be torn apart, they weren't made to fight and were worn out too.

The others couldn't be called warriors. The troublesome ones were happy to leave this place and rushed to aid their comrades, the fools.

"What are you saying? I can't hear you." I taunted the cat girl. No answer. She was still mumbling something. "Are you really this pathetic?"

Was it preparation for a spell? She sure took her time.

"I just killed your friend, aren't you going to avenge him?" I asked, trying my best to insult her. Kick her, while she was already down. Like life did to me all those years ago. Yes, my time has finally come. "He was a decent warrior at least, but you? A Goddess, huh?"

I glanced around but still no movement.

"The only time you did something was when I turned my back on you," I claimed, not like I wouldn't have done the same, given the chance. But I was best at manipulating people. I wanted to make her feel her worst before I killed her, after having her watch that. "He didn't think twice before attacking me and wasn't even a sorcerer."