Ember - Chapter Forty Five

"Hey, you! You're finally awake!"

"What is it, mrrow?" I lazily stretched my back, but the floor below me suddenly jumped. "Hnng, what the hell? Where am I?"

"Back with the living as it seems..." The captain noted, then yelled out suddenly. "Ember just woke up, you hear me? How far are they now?"

"What is going on, Bullhead?" I asked rather confused, and nonstop yawning. The floor jumped again, and it felt like someone shoved their boots into my back. "This is uncomfortable."

"Well, sorry about that, your highness. It didn't seem to bother you while you were sleeping..." He answered, and I fought myself to open my eyes again. It was already morning, maybe even noon, and I lay on one of the newly built, uncomfortable carriages.

"You should have waited until I woke up..." I complained, sitting up before the wagon jumped again. I saw roughly twenty more, driving rather fast on the old road. The pavement and these carts seemed inadequate for this speed, but the four raptors in front of each moved surprisingly fast. "Kind of rude to wake me up like this..."

"Ember, you burned down that damned forest, then slept for two whole days," Gorgon argued, but it barely registered at first. "I thought you died already, just like the two shamans. We had to move."

"The two shamans... What?" My mind was still rather foggy. "What do you mean? Where are we? Wait, did you just say I slept for two days?"

"Are you awake now?" He asked impatiently, and as I was about to answer, the goblin captain appeared next to our carriage.

"She woke up? Welcome back, Fire Witch." Avalon greeted me, riding on a raptor's back, one of his arms tied up, holding the reins with the other. "About time, we'll have company soon. These lizards started shadowing us first thing in the morning... Can you fight?"

"Can I? I'm not sure..." I mumbled, rubbing my sleepy eyes. "I don't remember much... Did I sleep that long?"

"As I said, you kept dueling the enemy shamans, then decided to burn down the entire forest, killing all the lizards in it," Bullhead repeated, looking rather impatient. "Then you wouldn't wake up, no matter what we tried. We've been on the move since... Barely got the time to investigate the villages. There was nobody left, you killed them all..."

"What? Don't be silly, I only aimed for the area right before us..." I tried to remember, but the fog was only lifting slowly. "I must have used too much mana... If that's the case, I'd need to meditate before I'm good to go, but it won't be easy if this cart keeps jumping on the pavement."

"I can stop the column, but then in about two minutes, the lizardmen will be on us," Avalon warned. "If you can't fight, things might get rough."

"Hmm... How many did we lose?" I asked, trying to grasp the situation. The last thing I remembered was firing off an inferno and getting all tingly. Next was waking up here, apparently two days later. "And how many lizards are following us? Maybe I can fire off a spell."

"Numerically, we didn't lose much... Thanks to your rampage." The beastkin captain noted, but it didn't sound like praise. "Eight orcs and twelve goblins in total, but that includes both of our shamans... The lizards aimed for them first and foremost. I take it, you can't use healing spells?"

"Healing? I can't, but..." Something rudely interrupted me by wooshing just a few feet above my head. By the time I looked up, it was ways ahead of us. It was some sort of monster, barely large enough to carry someone on its back, but it surprised me. "What the hell was that?"

"It's a damned pterosaurus," Avalon answered, then shouted to his men. "Archers, are you sleeping? Take that thing down right now."

"They have something like that?!" I yelled. This finally woke me up.