Princess - Ch. 95

"I totally did that..."

"Yes, you did, Princess." Cath didn't react how I hoped and returned to call me Princess too. "If you didn't let them capture us, it would have been much more amazing."

"Small details." I shrugged, still staring at my hands. The voice laughed ever since in my head, and maybe I started to lose my mind, just a little bit. Even if they captured and locked us in a cell again, we were back together. And the arrogant blue-robed bitch got exactly what she deserved. Either way, the result satisfied me.

"Of course, you were very amusing." The woman said in my head, that turned out to be Gadurien. Not only that, but I had to face that one of my favorite knights of ancient times was a female. And to top it all off, her deity lover, Remmol happened to give his blessing to the paladin.

She didn't hear his voice though, or when Gadurien talked to me. Maybe I did go crazy while in solitary confinement. But I performed such amazing miracles, if that was the price I didn't mind.

"Nothing to do with your mental state, we just don't talk to everyone." The god in my head claimed. "Most of us in the Cranta Pantheon have too many followers to pay attention to them, so consider yourself an exception. They answer prayers they deem worthy, but don't bother about the priests at all."

"So you say since you have practically no followers, you became bored enough to entertain me from inside my head?" I asked with a healthy amount of sarcasm. I realized it too late, that I talked and not just thought it, and looking at the paladin's face, it didn't exactly come off as if I was still sane. "Oh, I wasn't... I didn't talk to you, Cath, I just..."

"Yeah, I understand. You can hear the god's voices, no worries." She said, but her eyes told me a different story. Maybe she thought I made it up or was jealous because Remmol did not talk to her.

"No, she thinks you are crazy." My patron played the role of my intrusive thoughts. For now, I refused to believe her and tried my best to lock her voice out of my head. It was a losing battle, but I wanted to focus on the actual person right next to me. I missed her after all.

"So what will happen to us now?" I asked Cath, trying to start a meaningful conversation. Two days passed since our little adventure in the arena, and things calmed down somewhat surprisingly. Or rather, they put us back into the same cell where we started and left us alone. But I had no illusions about it being a long-term solution.

"Well, won't mess around with us now, I guess. But they found out that you're the last Princess of Cranta." The paladin summed it up, ruffling her short blue hair. The brunette dye from mine started to wear off, with a good half inch at the bottom purple now. "Hard to tell, how they will act."

"I mean, logically, they should apologize and let us go since I'm technically the heir of their overlord," I said, but it was more like wishful thinking, than a real possibility. "Or they could ally themselves with me, against the Elder and the whole Cranta Church. They hate them too."

"I'll let you know, that both of you are blessed by the gods of the Cranta Pantheon, which doesn't help your case." The voice started again in my head, and she had a point. Even if we weren't trying to fight the actual deities, but the imposter who took over the church.

"Sure, but the enemy of my enemy is a friend, right?" I asked, earning a curious, if not worried glance from Cath. I kept forgetting that only I could hear this goddess. "Gaddu said our blessings don't help our case."

"Gaddu?!" This was in perfect sync between the paladin and the voice in my head. The latter sounded rather upset about it.

"What? It's such an ancient-sounding, and weird name." I shrugged, both inwards and out. Cath giggled, but I could tell the goddess fumed quite a bit. "What else would I call you? That name is too long, people get tired just by saying it once."