Gorgon - Chapter Seventy

"I can't, I'm done."

The Fire Witch reached her limits and fell to the ground, a broken arrow sticking out of her shoulders. She lost her large, pointy hat at some point. The only reason I couldn't see all the blood covering her, was because the tunic she wore was red from the start. The black witch wasn't doing much better either. She was severely wounded too, and ever since her brother was struck down, she was unable to concentrate.

"Come on girls, just a little more." I was close to collapse, but I tried to keep them in the fight. One of my horns broke off, and my head felt like it was being torn apart. I got quite a few other wounds, but mostly minor ones. Still, it was getting harder to move. And we started to run out of space to retreat to. Half of our ogres and hobgoblins died.

"Feel free to fight a bit too, Bullhead," Ember complained, unable to move. My forces were all down, apart from maybe twenty orcs, the rest were already dead or dying. It was only thanks to the returning scouts that the rest of us was still alive. The wyverns they were riding performed nearly suicidal diving attacks and paid a heavy price.

The two raging witches used that opportunity to decimate the enemy magicians, their numerical superiority wouldn't go away that easily though. We probably routed, burned, or killed at least five hundred lizardmen already, but they still just kept on coming. It was the largest swarm we have encountered, and it didn't seem their end was near. Plus, there was another serious problem.

"I can't see the Elder anywhere, neither her gargoyle. And as much as I would love to say it, we did not beat her." Ember tried to sit up at least. Her words caused physical pain to the other witch, as it seemed. She was still casting one lightning bolt after the other. "She simply just disappeared. But I'm sure your brother made it back to the village."

"I will murder that cursed woman if I ever meet her again." She was spitting out the words between two spells. We were pushed back into a tight corner between the rolled-over carriages. Our pack animals have gone berserk at one point and ran away a long time ago. At least the pressure on us eased a bit, but we were still surrounded.

"Do you think someone will come to save us?" I asked Omerta, hoping she had good relations with the villagers. "I mean they wouldn't even let us in, maybe this is what they hoped would happen all along."

"The next lightning bolt will hit your remaining horn if you don't shut your mouth, Gorgon." She threatened me, and I decided to drop the matter. The Fire Witch on the other hand seemed to have only noticed what kind of injury I got during the fight. Her mouth flew open.

"Oh no, Bullhead, your horn." She complained. She reached her hand toward the remaining one but was a few yards too far to touch it. "The bastards, you're only half as handsome now. I got to avenge you."

"You better, the front row is about to collapse." I pointed it out as another ogre fell to the ground. Two orcs took his place, but we ran out of men and space. "What drives them still?"

"That crystal thingy you gave me. There must be more of them." She claimed, struggling to get herself off the ground. "Did you notice, that they never once attacked the Elder? Even when the gladiator pushed her right into their formation. I bet she has something to do with it."

"I'm so going to murder her!" Omerta yelled but fell to her knees in the next moment. She was completely exhausted too. All of us were. The battle must have gone on for at least two hours now, and it only seemed to get worse from here on out. The remaining wyverns were dripping their acidic blood all over the battlefield, and could no longer fly low from all the arrows the lizardmen archers shot at them. At the very least, these didn't have flying monsters, like the last horde.