Emi - Ch. 82

It was the weekend.

Time for doing homework then relaxing and recharging before school. Wash the uniform, touch some grass while it dries, and chill out with friends. But I couldn't do either, thinking about what Alex told me.

"He lives in my body, in another world..." She said that with a straight face and was talking about my brother. Just what on earth was her deal? Was she serious or sick in the head? I was so shocked I left her there and ran to the station.

No, I learned my lesson and looked both ways before crossing the streets. But I couldn't stop thinking about it on my way back, and ever since. The weekend flew by before I realized it.

"Can't believe she's like that," I mumbled, lying on my bed.

She was such a beauty though, it was a shame, she had a screw loose. Or did she? Other than digging up my brother's stuff in his room, I could not think of a way to prove what she said. It was still how he left it, untouched, other than his stuff from his apartment being piled on top of his bed. And on top of it all was his phone resting quietly. It was trivial for me, to turn it on and unlock it, but I felt terrible doing so.

I swore not to check his browser history. Every man should have that much privacy, even in their deaths. But looking for some kind of journal he may or may not have written seemed fine.

"Emi, come and take your clothes! The dryer finished." My mom shouted, and I almost dropped the phone. Phew, that scared me.

If Alexandra was sick in the head, I was probably too. And I was out of luck, Nathan did not write a diary. He did have a runner app installed, that was permanently turned on for some reason. I could follow his footsteps in his last days before he died, and I quickly realized, that he visited that park Alex had taken me, to just a day earlier.

Well, this didn't prove anything, she could have just guessed it. Or maybe she was stalking my brother. Yeah, right, a hot girl would follow him around. I couldn't imagine it the other way around either, Nate never seemed interested in girls, which was great, because I would have been jealous, knowing myself. I was already freaked out when he announced, that he won't go to the university from home.

"Emi!" My mother yelled again, and I had to run downstairs.

"What was so urgent?" I mumbled, rolling my eyes, but always the hero, I made sure she couldn't hear me. It was a few panties, socks, and my school uniform. I could have brought them upstairs later too. I was still holding onto my brother's phone without even realizing it. As I grabbed my clothes I accidentally tapped the browser's icon. The page he visited last automatically reopened, and as the music started I almost dropped everything. An old band was playing, dressed as hippies.

"Turn down the volume." My mom grumbled, not like I did that on purpose. I hit pause instead and quickly rushed out in the back. My heart was beating like crazy. What was that about? I grabbed my headphones, and plugged them into his phone, before restarting the song.

"Roll up! Roll up for the Mystery Tour!"

I was in our back garden, staring at a big hole in the fence. There was a rarely used alley between all the semi-detached houses. Sometimes we would run away from home, me and my brother, for whatever reason, like if we argued with our parents or were in a bad mood. We went on an adventure when we were smaller, or slipping out of the house during curfew. A large black cat was sitting in front of it now. I hadn't seen it around before, the way it looked, as if it was calling me.

"Roll up! That's an invitation! Roll up for the Mystery Tour!"

I wasn't exactly dressed to go outside, but I had my school uniform in my hands. Only thinking about it for a split second, I hastily put it on top of my casual indoor clothing. I only had my slippers on, but the cat decided to move when I considered stepping back inside for my shoes. I had to run through that opening, if I didn't want to miss them. I just dropped my freshly-dried socks and other clothes near the door.