Lambert - Chapter Fifty Four

"Hey, human boy."

Omerta barged in like she owned the place. We became neighbors last week, but I still couldn't get used to it. The embassy the beastfolk constructed was quite impressive though. They recently finished the bathhouse as well, the tribe shaped up at a crazy speed.

"What do you want, witch?" I asked similarly. I found her scary, like basically everyone in this village... And the first friend I made was long gone. Bastion was a gentle giant, but it took me all my courage to make a deal with him. I did not regret it, and while nobody reached his size in the tribe, plenty of strange people lived here.

"Teach me how to make golems." The orc witch demanded. Her brother was the most terrifying of all. Nearly the size of the ogre, but he wore woman's clothing... Yet was more ripped than all the men in Nateaser. And it didn't help that his little sister was a former member of the Twelve Champions. She was competitive, always going on about some rivalry, but she was surprisingly friendly.

"What? Golems? Why?" I was confused, only waking up recently. Some furniture was still missing, but my room was on par with my chambers back in the main temple. "We have thirty golems in this tribe already, and the Goddess keeps making more of them."

"Yeah, well, this is the thing. She doesn't." She claimed, leaning against my doorframe. She was much shorter than her brother. Well, since that guy was huge, but for an orc girl, she didn't look nearly as brutish as the rest. She didn't wear those rough, leather clothes either. She preferred all-black, typical wizard clothing with flowing robes and amulets, only a pointy hat was missing.

"What do you mean, she doesn't?" I asked, yawning. "She even made a homunculus to organize them... The first one I've seen in my life."

"Tooth is part of the problem." She noted, pushing herself off the doorframe. She walked in casually and hopped on my bed. Her smile exposed her small tusks, the dark green skin lots smoother than I expected, glistening from sweat. She must have been busy, already this early in the morning. "That homunculus is a slavedriver... He works the poor golems until they break down. We only have fifteen left."

"What? That's impossible..." I shook my head. "I've seen those guys... The Goddess filled them with so much mana that I half expected them to burst. And they were masterfully crafted too. The one I made barely resembles a human, hers are completely lifelike, it's scary."

"Yeah, well, they work on the houses, cut up the trees, mine stone, haul them across the forest, then build the roads... I'm already tired just from listing that all." She explained, and she got a point. "Half of them broke down, and she stopped making more since her body double started building some kind of laundry... That catgirl is obsessed with slimes."

"Oh, right, they sent that kid to ask me about it," I remembered from yesterday. "I was a bit surprised because she always hangs out with Nati, and I feel like she avoids me for some reason."

"Nati does? Unbelievable." Omerta put on a fake shocked expression for me. "I wonder why that would be? It's not like you tried to banish her in the middle of the village or something. I'm already surprised she would send her little henchmen to ask you. So what did Mabel want?"

"I keep apologizing for that," I claimed, but I guess she was right. I sure wouldn't go near anyone who tried to harm me. I felt terrible about it too. She was a stunning beauty, owing her body to a literal Goddess and I tried my best to make up for my mistake. Cooking her the best meals, offered my help whenever I had spare time, but she wouldn't have it. If anything, she even ate less lately. "So she's Mabel? She asked if I could make healing potions from slimes but asked the shaman too."

"And can you?" The witch asked. The longer she sat next to me, the more I noticed the interesting aroma emanating from her. Was it some sort of perfume, or her sweat? I couldn't tell.