Princess - Ch. 77

I was in a dungeon again.

And this time, Cath was here with me too, not as my rescuer either. But at least she was safe. Stripped of her magical armor, and most of her pride, but still alive. She did not consider that as a win.

"I have failed you." She announced it now and then, but at least she didn't call me Princess. "I became too arrogant, thinking my armor would protect me from everything. I can't believe I was so easily defeated. That woman didn't even seem that powerful."

"Oh, it's your first time?" A stranger decided to join in from the next cell over. She looked way older than us but was in better shape than I expected from someone locked up in a dungeon. "I take it you met Aoi Sama? She's pretty good. No shame in losing to her."

"And who are you?" I asked, annoyed that a random nobody would dare to address us so lightly. I nearly forgot that I was supposed to be acting like a commoner. She didn't take offense either way.

"I'm Sariah. I came from the South almost five years ago." She introduced herself, bowing her head. Now that I looked at her, she did have dark brown skin and resembled the envoys I once received from the distant lands of Shibalan. Her clothes mirrored the vivid colors of that culture too, and she was supposed to be wearing that for all this time.

"Five years ago?" Cath asked her, almost yelling.

"Why yes, but it's not as bad as it seems." She gave out a weak laugh. I couldn't tell if she was genuine or not. "The food is good, and they take care of us. Sometimes we get to walk around in the gardens of the palace too. We're just not allowed to leave."

"Palace?" I repeated it, surprised. They put a sack over our heads after we got captured, and had no idea where they took us. It was only removed, once we were both locked up. But I admit, the place was nice and clean for being a dungeon, but with bars everywhere.

"Yes, you are in the royal palace of the Saipole capital. I'd recommend taking a look, if you get the chance, it's beautiful." Sariah noted, pointing at the windows near the ceiling. They were way too high up.

"So why are you here?" Cath asked curiously. Our cells were simple, roughly four yards in every direction. There was a thick wall behind us with a barred window and a thinner wall to the left. Bars separated us from the neighboring cell and the corridor. The one Sariah was in mirrored ours. Both had two beds over each other, bolted to the solid wall. Other than that, only a hole to do our business.

"Most likely for the same reason as you two." The woman shrugged, still smiling. "I entered their territory too deep and ended up here. But apart from the lodgings, I have to say, I didn't enjoy such a good life back in my home country. The Collapse was rather harsh on Shibalan."

"But why are they keeping us here?" Cath was not satisfied with that answer. She studied the bars and walls, looking for a way out, but the place seemed solid and deep underground.

"The Sea People are a proud race, that lost almost everything. First their fleet, then their freedom. And they are keen to blame the other races for that." Sariah tried to explain, standing up, and walking to the bars between us. "They are very suspicious of the outsiders, at least at first. But if you prove yourself trustworthy and useful they might recruit you."

"What if I don't want to be recruited though?" The paladin didn't seem to trust the stranger. "I just want them to let us go."

"Well, that's tough luck then. You came to the wrong place." The woman shrugged. "I'd join them, but I lack the talent. I can't complain though, not all the cells are like this. The ones above us are much larger, and with plenty of people in them. Don't get used to this one, as they keep rotating us. This time I got the short end of the stick. You'll be soon separated too, to avoid organizing against them."