Princess - Chapter Thirty Three

I couldn't wait to see my Papa.

I was away for so long, yes, I no longer lived in the castle, but I met him almost daily. The main temple of the Cranta Church was close, and my living quarters looked at the Royal Castle. But I couldn't talk to him in the nearly two weeks I spent on the road.

I was excited and wanted to tell him everything, wishing the soldiers marched faster. It was a shame that Cath didn't come, I didn't want to reveal her mishaps, to be honest, if anything, I wanted to commend her in front of the King for her dedication, that she protected me, even though I made her life difficult. But I was the last Princess of Cranta, so I had to act the part.

Lost in thought, I didn't even notice, that the soldiers took a wrong turn. When I was suddenly in front of the main temple instead of the castle, I started to complain.

"No, you idiots, I don't want to go to my place, lead me to the King right away," I demanded, turning around. They were in my way though. "What? Stop bumbling around, I had to wait long enough."

"Dear Princess." I heard a familiar voice. Not as raspy and weak as usual, but it unmistakably belonged to the Elder. I felt as if my face got distorted from the disdain towards her. "I'm so glad you have returned. We were already fearing the worst. Please, tell me about your travels."

"I will tell my Papa all about it, but let me see him first," I demanded without even looking at her. "Order the troops to turn around now"

"But your Highness, your clothes are heavy from the dirt of the roads. You should rest first, change, and..." She was just as annoying as ever. I did change my clothes right before we entered the city, and I was well-rested. I even reprimanded Cath for not thinking about it on her own.

"Stop wasting my time, I'm still your Princess. Just do as I said." I demanded, turning to face her. My jaw dropped. "Who the hell are you?"

"Are you all right, Your Majesty?" She asked with a worried expression. I could tell it was fake, but I had no idea who she was until I remembered what that witch told us in the orc's village. "You don't recognize your most loyal servant? It must have been a very tiring road."

She looked almost as young as me. Her blonde hair had a silky shine dancing in the light breeze. Her pretty face was unrecognizable. No, that annoying wrinkled hag face was unrecognizably pretty and young. She wasn't wearing her usual worn-out gray clothes either.

She wore purple from top to bottom.

Something was not right. My mind screamed danger, but I couldn't move. Her smile was beautiful and terrifying at the same time.

"W-what happened here?" I could barely stutter as the soldiers were on the move again, aggressively nudging me toward the main temple.

"This is what I'd like to know too, Your Highness." She claimed, waving for me to move. "Or should I call you the Impostor?"

"What? You will pay for your insolence." I tried to resist them. "Lead me to your King, or I'll make sure you all lose your heads."

"I'm afraid I can't bother the King right now..." She shook her head as the troops tried to drag me away. "He ordered three days of mourning for the death of his only daughter. These are dark times for Sanctuary."

"What are you talking about? I'm right here." I screamed, but one of the soldiers put his filthy hand over my mouth. I couldn't believe it. How did they dare to touch me? And say such nonsense that Papa was mourning me? I thrashed as much as I could, but they quickly surrounded me from all sides to drag me off the streets.

"It is truly despicable that you try to imitate the adored Princess Elizabeth, but we will get to the bottom of this soon." The young-looking Elder declared while I was taken towards the dungeons. I've been in that place before when a maid ticked me off. I sent her down there to teach her a lesson and visited her a few days later for a good laugh. But these scum were dragging me as if I was the criminal here. No matter how much I tried to fight them, that woman wouldn't stop smiling. I wanted to wipe that terrifying grin away...