Episode 3: Making Friends

EPISODE 3:
MAKING FRIENDS

RECAP

OPENING CREDITS

FADE IN

INT. DINER

CINDY serves CHARLES a plate of food and another refill as CHARLES winks at her as she pats his shoulder and heads off to another table as COLBY walks in, CHARLES looking at him before taking a bite as COLBY sits across from him.

COLBY looks at CHARLES firmly as CHARLES wipes his mouth and clears his throat as COLBY says nothing.

CHARLES
Yes?

COLBY
Less than a week.

CHARLES
I am aware.

COLBY
You understand that there is already a negative stigma about your and yours.

CHARLES
Things happen, COLBY, do you remember our days?

COLBY
Our days had validation, merit, reason. Most of the lives we took were contracted.

CHARLES
You're neglecting a lot of gray areas my old friend. Because I clearly recall many more incidents that weren't sanctioned.

COLBY
Don't turn this around...

CHARLES
Why not? You come in here, harboring your bad attitude and slinging about righteousness about me and mine when you know just how dark and cold this place can get.

COLBY
A week, CHARLES.

CHARLES
He'll be fine.

COLBY
The earful I got today, it puts people in bad moods. I do not mean to take it out on you my friend, truly, I do not, but this is becoming way out of hand.

CHARLES
We are well within our rights a majority of the time, and we take our punishments.

COLBY
That you do, but that luck will run out, and if I were a betting man, I would say that perhaps that day is today. TERESA will not go easy on him, the SYSTEM will get involved...and then...I don't know.

CHARLES
So what are you here for? Babysitting duty?

COLBY
Yes. Until I receive the call, you are relegated to remain here. I do have the payouts for the last missions, and they were nice enough to give me one to occupy a few of yours.

COLBY hands over a stack of labeled money, one for NIKKI, and one for EMMA and SHANE. CHARLES takes it as COLBY hands him a folder, CHARLES putting it in his booth beside him as he takes a drink as COLBY takes off his suit jacket and waves CINDY down.

CHARLES
That bad huh?

COLBY
What do you want me to say, CHARLES? What do you expect me to do, I am only a...(to CINDY) Diet COKE, and a chicken fried steak please.

CINDY
Sure thing, sugah.

COLBY smirks as he looks back at CHARLES who was waiting on him to finish, COLBY huffing as he throws his arms on the back rest behind him.

COLBY
We are not infinite, CHARLES. We are Finite here. The difference between us here, and when we were alive is that we didn't know, it was speculation and hearsay, taking things on faith. Here we know that when it's over...it's over.

CHARLES
Do we though?

COLBY
Don't start...

CHARLES
You're preaching the SYSTEM'S way of thinking, what they want us to believe, that when we go here, that's it...but how do we know?