Episode 6: Holiday

EPISODE 6:
"HOLIDAY"

FADE IN

OPENING CREDITS

INT. DINER-DAY

CHARLES is eating as EMMA and AUSTIN come into the DINER, scooting into the booth opposite him as CHARLES looks the two over as EMMA smiles at him with a huge grin.

CHARLES
I know that smile...what the hell happened?

AUSTIN
Uh, did you forget what today is?

CHARLES
Uh...?

EMMA
It's OCCUPATION DAY!

CHARLES
Oh shit...

EMMA
You didn't forget it was OCCUPATION DAY...you couldn't have...

CHARLES
Well...that depends...

EMMA
CHARLES!?

CHARLES
I've had a lot on my plate, EMMA.

EMMA
I can see that you fucking fat-ass!

CHARLES
Whoa!

AUSTIN
Hey!

EMMA crosses her arms and pouts as AUSTIN and CHARLES exchange glances as AUSTIN shakes his head.

AUSTIN
She was expecting her present.

CHARLES
Oh god, are you two four years old? I don't have to get you presents every OCCUPATION DAY, it's bullshit.

AUSTIN
Well you get accustomed to it after a few decades...

CHARLES
Yeah, well...

EMMA
What's so goddamn important that I don't get my present on OCCUPATION FUCKING DAY!

CHARLES
That algorithm of yours to hack through the angelic encryption worked. We know what the codex is for.

AUSTIN
And?

CHARLES
An EMP BOMB. Specifically designed to shut down the entire SYSTEM.

AUSTIN
Good god...

EMMA
Why would they ever make something like that?

CHARLES
I don't know if it was actually commissioned or if it was just fully designed and the codex is the step by step byproduct of that. Fact is this thing is now in the wrong hands. It's not on my mind easily. Nor I'm sure NIKKI'S.

AUSTIN
Is that why she's been all "meh" lately? She's never taken this many straight shifts at the hospital before.

CHARLES
Maybe. What about SHANE? Anyone heard from him? It's been four days since they got back.

AUSTIN
ANTHONY says SHANE is gone before he gets up and asleep when he gets home. Been working, MECHANIC hired him.

CHARLES
Good.

AUSTIN
Why haven't you gone to talk to him yet?

CHARLES
He's working out things for himself.

EMMA
Boss, this is his first...real breakdown about what it means to be here. You said yourself you were more worried about how well he was coping, now he's having a hard time and you're going to ignore him? You're an asshole.

CHARLES
I will ignore that, knowing that you're just in a hissy fit mood, but yes, I am aware that I had those initial worries. I will see him in time. But I am waiting on someone, and if you don't mind, I would like for this to get on well enough without me being in a bad fucking mood!

EMMA huffs and scoots out of the booth, hurrying out of the DINER as AUSTIN shakes his head.

AUSTIN
Happy OCCUPATION DAY, boss.