CHAPTER ~24

8 years ago

8 years ago.. 

"Tuck your dress Lani, she can see it from the outside.. " I say, pressing her little head into my chest more, not wanting to let her out of my sight. 

"How can you be so afraid all the time? We were careful. I'm sure she didn't even see us. We're hiding for nothing. "

She can't understand my fear. She can't understand that I can't lose her, she's my last resort. I'm living in a man made hell and she's the only light in my life. She's the only safe place where I can go after hours of exhausting training, after every nightmare where my mum's death haunts me. 

She thinks I protect her in school from all the bullies and mean girls. But in reality, it's her. She keeps me sane when I'm almost about to lose it. 

I need her more than she'll ever need me. 

But soon, her words are proved wrong as I hear heavy footsteps coming towards the closest. 

I shiver in fear, my hands and legs are almost giving up in the numbness. 

"It's okay. They'll just give me another warning. I'll not see you for some days and then it'll all be the same as before."

Lani caresses my hands, assuring me but it doesn't work. Normally she's able to calm my nerves, she always drags me out of my panic attacks, helping me with the never ending episodes of my own personal hell. 

I clutch her hand tightly, unable to calm my heart. 

Why is it so loud in my head? 

Was the closest always these dark and cold? 

Both of us are awfully quiet today, maybe we know what's coming. Maybe we don't, but one thing for sure, that it's nothing good. 

Eventually, the closet door burst open. 

I shut my eyes, squishing it painfully just to avoid the obvious. 

"Told you, they are here. This little trash is spoiling our Jungkook. "

I hear Rubina's voice. Why does she sound victorious? Why can't she let me live in peace and focus on her little daughters, they are only babies. 

It's lucid that the person she's talking to is papa. 

But I don't want to see the look on his face. So I do what any thirteen years old would do, keep my eyes closed and pray for a miracle. 

Lani is sitting beside me, calmly. She's always so put together, never worrying, never fearing, probably because she hasn't seen the brutal secrets of our family, the skeleton that we keep hidden in the closet. 

"Why don't you and your friend come to the garden, we all can have some nice food and chat.. Yeah Son? "

The heavy footsteps disappear just like they came as Papa ordered us. And I got the courage to open my eyes.